[nfbmi-talk] Online Grocery Services in Michigan?

Elizabeth Mohnke lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 10 22:45:17 UTC 2015

Hello All,

Someone on the NABS student email list started a thread asking others for
tips and suggestions on how to shop more effectively with a shopper's
assistant at the grocery store. Some people responded by saying that online
grocery delivery services might be an option worth considering. With this in
mind, I am wondering if anyone here in Michigan uses any online grocery
delivery services, and if so, what your experience has been in using these
kinds of services.

I know there is Swann's, but when I was browsing through their selection
online, their vegetarian selection seemed few and far between among all the
omnivore selections. Plus my freezer is not that big, so it would be
difficult for me to stock up on Swann's products. I have heard about Door to
Door organics, but I have yet to try them. I also remember seeing some way
to order non-perishable items when looking at the website for one of the
local health food stores. But again, I have yet to try ordering anything
from them.

The whole concept of ordering groceries online and having them delivered to
me seems to be a rather weird foreign concept to me. But I also think
something like this could really help me. So I am wondering if anyone has
any tips or advice for ordering groceries online here in Michigan.

What services do you use, and how do you go about finding the best deals
online? Are prices still rather reasonable for ordering groceries online
verses going to the grocery store? Do you ever have any trouble identifying
any items once they have been delivered to you, and if so, how do you tell
similar items apart once your groceries have been delivered to you? Grocery
shopping of any kind seems to intimidate me, so any thoughts or suggestions
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Elizabeth