[nfbmi-talk] Reflections

Larry D Keeler lkeeler at comcast.net
Wed Jan 14 20:01:42 UTC 2015

An interesting mind game for us to play or at least stop and consider could be, how far have we come from 1940. We know what we need to do going into the future, but, where did we come from? How much progress have we made in 75 years? For example, Mr. Bernsteen. Yah, we can pick on his faults and what we consider weaknesses but, where is he now? The state Supreme court! Don't think he could have done that in 1940! Or Christine Ha, who won the Master Chef a couple of years back. Lastly, the blind guy who I believe was from Ypsilanti who's name I forget, won a few games on Jeopardy.! Sure, we still have qa long way to go but, we have also come a long way! Mostly, are parents don't give us up anymore. We are not bothered as often while we are out in public. We can own things and buy them. We can get married, have children and raise them. Yes, some people aren't yet convinced of this but we know our peers have done these things and so much more! I probably wouldn't have been allowed to take my various science courses unless I just sat there! I have used bunsen burners, scapels and mixed up chemicals. I have taken geography and astromomy wher I helped many people read maps or find object in the sky. I've learned skills in shop and also home economics which I still use today. I have had the opportunity to compete in wrestling, swimming, track and skiing. I've climbed trees, rode bicycles and became a pretty good fisherman. I played flute and rang bells. Now, unfortunately, I mostly care give which has its own issues. The point is that even now, blind people in some schools are still facing challenges with accessibility but others have allowed us to have and benefit from opportunity!
Larry D Keeler lkeeler at comcast.net Intelligence is always claimed but rarely proven!