[nfbmi-talk] TMSG: Beyond Our Barriers

Terry D. Eagle terrydeagle at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 17 12:15:08 UTC 2015

This is AWESOME!

-----Original Message-----
From: nfbmi-talk [mailto:nfbmi-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Mark
Eagle via nfbmi-talk
Sent: Friday, July 17, 2015 12:58 AM
To: NFB of Michigan Internet Mailing List
Cc: Mark Eagle
Subject: [nfbmi-talk] TMSG: Beyond Our Barriers

  (WLNS) – The job hunt can be tough for anyone, but there’s a specific
portion of our population that has an even harder time finding work.People
with disabilities often struggle to find jobs and in Friday’s Tell Me
Something good 6 News Mariah Harrison shows us a local man who’s working to
change that.“First impressions are extremely important, probably more
important than they should be.”First impressions for a potential employer
are even more important.“People with autism may take a long time to answer
something, may not have good eye contact. Other people with disabilities
will take a long time to explain something or may not be able to find the
right words,” said Justin Caine, president/CEO, Beyond Our Barriers.Justin
Caine saw a need.“The job market’s not good for anyone, but for people with
disabilities it’s 70 percent unemployed.”Enter Beyond our Barriers, a
virtual work pool of people with disabilities.People looking for jobs can
upload resumes and a list of skills.“The most specific and most important
part is near the top, the video resume component.”“The employer’s able to
see, this person may struggle with communication or whatever or struggle
with something else we’re not going to put them in that situation but
they’re extremely successful when they’re put in this situation.”The video
resumes are about a minute long.They allow employers to see the person and
see their abilities.“What is this person good at? What do they struggle
at?”The video also serves another purpose.“There are things that employers
are not allowed to ask, which causes issues along the way, because if the
employer knew about it ahead of time they’d be able to accommodate that
issue and then the person would be able to keep their job.”Justin’s
production team has 10 videos finished and uploaded so far. Beyond Our
Barriers has also scored a contract with Michigan rehabilitation services to
provide videos for some of their clients.“Not only do these video resumes
help people get employed but they help them stay employed.”Because everyone
deserves the right to be able to support themselves.The website is currently
under construction, but they hope to have it live in a couple weeks.If you
or someone you know could benefit from Beyond Our Barriers’ services,
contact Justin Caine by e-mail at Justin at goodfruitvideo.com.