[nfbmi-talk] Fw: foia eo 2015-15 related implementation too

David Robinson drob1946 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 18:39:31 UTC 2016

----- Original Message -----
From: canter2000 at aol.com
To: joeharcz at comcast.net ; marlene at mcrs13.org ; brian.calley at michigan.gov ; goodgovernment at michigan.gov
Cc: president.nfb.mi at gmail.com ; drob1946 at gmail.com ; terrydeagle at yahoo.com ; markaeagle at yahoo.com ; jill.gerrie at arcmi.org ; ndelisle at mymdrc.org ; laura at mymdrc.org ; nlcmom15 at comcast.net ; weaseladapt at gmail.com ; nlcdad at yahoo.com ; scheinzman at yahoo.com ; SARA at dnmichigan.org ; rodney at misilc.org ; ADAPTMT at aol.com ; ECERANO at mpas.org ; BSABOUR at mpas.org ; Mark_Johnson at shepherd.org ; kelly at ncil.org ; Christyne.Cavataio at ed.gov
Sent: Wednesday, February 17, 2016 12:48 PM
Subject: Re: foia eo 2015-15 related implementation too

Dear Disability Advocates

I am concerned this is another example of incestuous partnerships between the State of Michigan DHHS/MRS, Governor Snyder appointed Councils and the entities profiting from federal and state tax dollars. I say 'profit;' while I acknowledge the businesses are organized as tax exempt the reality is the executives and administrators are very well paid.

As an example of my concern is Peckham Inc.whose principle officer is Mitch Tomlinson, on the Board of Directors of MARO, who sits on the MCRS and who will make recommendations and decisions about the E.O. Employment First. Peckham is part of the Ability One program and given priority in assignment of federal contracts. Peckhna's IRS 990 2013 reports gross revenue of 126 Million dollars, CEO Tomlinson received over $500,000.00 in compensation with next five executives totaling $840,000.00 more. This should make state employees and other agencies shutter considering their wage scale and when we consider that some Peckham employees work for less than the prevailing wage, commensurate wage, and even sub-minimum wages that year, I'm incredulous.

As the voice of vocational rehabilitation consumers, the Council is required to be lead by individuals with VR disabilities. It is disturbing to see Mr. Tomlinson, who is probably a wonderful human being, acting in a number of influential roles and crossing personal and public interests. Partnerships between public state entities and private corporations may yield some benefit for people people with significant disabilities, but the example definitely raises some questions about conflict of interest and the the resulting exploitation of the Disabled.

We just don't know when Mr. Tomlinson is acting as the CEO on behalf of Peckham, or the Board of Directors for MARO, or representing the Michigan Council on Rehabilitation Services. Regrettably, this is not the only example of Michigan's abuse of power.

Please join me in questioning these conflicted appointments which so clearly result in low wage employment for people with significant disabilities, a multitude of solid middle-income jobs for state and non-profit service providers, and grossly disparate income for a few well connected individuals. Most people with disabilities want the access and independence that can only be gained through employment at a fair wage; none of us want to be second class citizens depending on the charity model.

Equal employment for the Disabled has been the goal of many state and federal programs for a long time, but all the good intentions of legislation is weakened and lost if people responsible for implementation put established partnerships, historical practices, a head of the individuals they are paid to serve.

#NOTYOUCASCOW

Darma J. Canter, B.A., Consumer and Advocate
former client in MRS