[nfbmi-talk] POBC Organizing In Michigan

Fred Wurtzel f.wurtzel at att.net
Mon Feb 22 17:21:09 UTC 2016

Attention Michigan Parents!

The National Organization of Parents of Blind Children (NOPBC) in Michigan
is looking

reorganize and revitalize its state chapter and we need your assistance to
generate

ideas,

provide leadership, or just be available to share experiences and hope with
other

parents.

The NOPBC is a division of the National Federation of the Blind, a
well-known organization

that breaks down barriers while creating opportunities and maintaining high
expectations

for blind people. We would like to see NOPBC-MI become active in our
communities

by

becoming more visible to encourage training in nonvisual skills for all
blind/low-vision

kids,

creating face-to-face interaction between the sighted and the blind, and
promoting

our

organization through teaching and learning...and fun events, too!

Are you looking for information on programs that could help your child
improve their

cane

training or braille reading? Would you like to surround your blind child
with blind

adults

who are successfully living their lives on their own terms? Do you have a
partially-sighted

or low-vision child and you want to know if he/she should be learning
nonvisual skills?

NOPBC can provide answers to your questions, guidance on finding helpful
programs

in

your state, and encouragement from other parents.

My name is Haley Dare and I am the coordinator and contact person for
NOPBC-Michigan

and the parent of a low-vision child. My son, Aron, is 10 years old and has
severe

amblyopia,

strabismus, and visual processing disorder. He currently reads in large
print, but

is learning

to read in braille...it's THAT important! He also carries a long, white cane
(yep,

also VERY

important!) that he utilizes most when it is too bright or too dark for his
personal

comfort. I

would like to encourage you, help you find resources, and get involved with
NOPBC-MI.

am available to chat with you by telephone at 269-372-2594 or you can
contact me

by email at

haley.dare at yahoo.com

. If you cannot connect with me by phone, please leave me a

message...I will get back with you!

If you want your blind child to meet competent blind adults and other
blind/low-vision

kids

who may become special friends, NOPBC will help them feel that they are not
alone

and that

they, too, can be okay with being blind and can gain confidence to know that
they

can still do

anything they want to. Help us create a more positive understanding of and
raise

expectations for blind kids and their families by joining NOPBC-MI today!