[nfbmi-talk] Fw: interface bsbp lara wts and blind folks in county/flint

David Robinson drob1946 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 16:39:48 UTC 2016

----- Original Message -----
From: joe harcz Comcast
To: Mike Zimmer LARA DSA
Cc: Ed Rodgers BSBP Dir. ; Sarah Gravetti MISILC DNM ; Rodney Craig ED MSILC ; Christian Simmons MSILC Advocacy ; BRIAN SABOURIN ; Marlene Malloy MCRS Dir. ; Georgia Kitchen FANFB ; Mary Ann Robinson NFB MI ; Larry Posont NFBMI Pres. ; Fred wurtzel ; Mark A. Riccobono NFB Pres. ; Lt. Gov. Brian Calley
Sent: Thursday, March 17, 2016 11:15 AM
Subject: interface bsbp lara wts and blind folks in county/flint

March 17 2016 More on Flint Water Blind

Paul Joseph Harcz, Jr.

1365 E. Mt. Morris Rd.

Mt. Morris, MI 48458

joeharcz at comcast.net

810-516-5262

Re: What were scripts and what was the interface with rapid response teams

Ed, Rodgers, Bureau Services to Blind Persons/LARA

Michael Zimmer, Director LARA

(Via e-mail)

Dear Sirs,

I point your attention to the following from the recent FOIA release to me regarding BSBP’s work with persons who are blind relative to the Flint water crisis:

“From: Zimmer, Mike (LARA)

Table with 2 columns and 4 rowsSent: Friday, January 29, 2016 6:49 AM To: Towne, Karen (LARA); Rodgers, Edward (LARA) Cc: Moon, Jason (LARA); Brown, Melanie (DEQ) Subject: Re: Blind Flint Residents Table endThanks Karen -Ed can you provide list to Karen?

Sent from my iPad

wrote:

> We (LARA Executive staff) can do a couple things too-If Ed also gives me the list of

addresses for these clients, we can cross check the list from Flint Water, and the list of

tested homes for the results and we can cross check the Water Response Team

results in the EOC database to see if they were visited and provided test kits, water,

filters and cartridges. The. WRTs have also been including information about the

residents with special needs and would have assisted with filter installation.

> Departments contacting constituents have been indicating they re calling to make

sure resources have been provided by the Water Response Teams, asking if they

need any additional assistance with installing the filter(S). That information has then

been submitted to the distribution teams to get the assistance to them. The WRTs are

working from a specific list of questions -not sure if Jason or Mel have those but I can

get them this morning when at the EOC.

wrote:

>> Ed Rodgers has identified 36 current Flint area residents who are blind recipient of

BSBP services (based on zip code pulls, we believe they could be on Flint City water

but you know how that goes . . . )

>> I would like Ed to have his caseworkers reach out to his clients to see if they are on

Flint water, if they are receiving services, etc and to share information -this seems a

more effective way of delivering information that just translating everything into Braille.

1

Is there a script you guys would like BSBP staff to follow when they make these

contacts?

Now, was there any “cross-checking” and interfaces between LARA/BSBP blind residents and the Rapid Response Teams referenced above? Were any “scripts” again referenced developed? Were any materials or information, not just in Braille but in other accessible formats developed let alone distributed to blind persons in Flint or the Flint Area?

If so please remit any documents, e-mails, etc. in accessible format, and in a timely manner pursuant to the ADA and Section 504 to me (Plain text) to my e-mail address listed above.

Sincerely,

Paul Joseph Harcz, Jr.