[nfbmi-talk] {Spam?} Blind Jusstuice - Blind People Have Few Limitations

Terry D. Eagle terrydeagle at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 17 15:31:59 UTC 2016

Blind anti-gang activist fights off armed robbers

Tanya Eiserer, WFAA-TV, Dallas-Fort Worth DALLAS '

When armed robbers tried to steal his money, Lamont

Levels, a blind former gang member , wasn't going to just let that happen.
The two teenage gang members got the money, but he got the gun. '(The
police)'couldn't

believe that a blind guy had disarmed two robbery suspects,' said Levels,
who is now an anti-gang activist. Levels was one of the eight original
founders

one of the first Bloods gangs in Dallas. He was left blind 15 years ago when
he was shot during a drug deal gone sour. He now runs a gang-intervention

non-profit called Now Eye See'Inc. 'Back in my day, when I was a gang
member, we respected our senior citizens, our elderly'and our disabled,' he
said.

'I see why so many of our young kids are dying ' because they have no
respect for no one. Levels was approached by the robbers Aug. 23 as he was
walking

to his south Dallas home. He had just exchanged larger bills for $1 bills at
a'store. 'I get messed out of my money at times, so I like to have small
bills,'

he said. He thinks the teens probably saw him and mistakenly believed he had
a large amount of money. The attack started with a blow to the head with a

gun. He was knocked to the ground. At first, he thought he'd been shot. He
thought the attackers came to kill him for something in his past. They
attackers

were silent. They sat him on the ground. One robber reached into his
pockets. That's when he realized it was a robbery. He also realized their
silence

meant he probably knew them. Lamont Levels demonstrated the attack on him.
The Aug. 23, 2016, attack started with a blow to the head with a gun.
(Photo:

WFAA-TV, Dallas-Fort Worth) Levels began to struggle. 'Something said,
'Don't let them rob me. Fight back,' and I just began to fight back,' he
said. One

robber continued searching his pockets. The other held him from behind. 'I
realized that the other guy that was holding me, he must have had the gun,'

he said. Levels grabbed for the gun. The robber started biting him in the
back. 'It felt like a pit bull was on me,' Levels said. He told the first
robber

that he could take the money. Levels continued to struggle with the robber
who had the gun. The robber kept biting him and began screaming to his
accomplice

for help. It was a voice he recognized. 'I snatched the gun. As soon as I
snatched'the gun, I just turned and fired, 'pow,' and he took off running,'
Levels

said. 'They say I grazed him. The two fled down the trail behind Levels'
house. It's a trail that only someone from the neighborhood would know
about.

Levels also recognized the gun. It had an extended clip. 'Don't too many
people walk around here with an extended gun and there's only one guy that
had

that type of gun, so I knew it was him,' he said. To make matters worse, the
teenage robbers were members of the gang he helped found decades ago.
'Everybody

says that I was lucky, that I was blessed, and that might be true,' Levels
said. But I look at the same time that the young guy that I didn't shoot,
that

he's lucky and he's blessed, because he was coming to rob me and he could
have ended up being dead. One of the alleged robbers' a juvenile' is in
custody.

Police say Levels was key in identifying the robbers. The other has yet to
be caught. Follow Tanya'Eiserer on Twitter:' @tanyaeiserer