[nfbmi-talk] vDisabled protesters sue troopers, nonprofits for barring them from Capitol event

Mary Ann Robinson brightsmile1953 at comcast.net
Tue Feb 7 17:20:39 UTC 2017

Disabled protesters sue troopers, nonprofits for barring them from Capitol event

capitol610.jpg

A group of mostly disabled protesters is suing several Michigan State Police troopers, the retired facilities director at the Capitol and two nonprofit

groups for keeping them from a 2015 celebration of the American with Disabilities Act. One of them, Paul Joseph Harcz Jr., 64, was arrested and charged

with a felony that was dismissed in 2016. (Tanya Moutzalias | MLive.com file photo)

Print

Email

Danielle Salisbury | Danielle_Salisbury at mlive.com

By

Danielle Salisbury | Danielle_Salisbury at mlive.com

on February 04, 2017 at 12:54 PM, updated February 04, 2017 at 3:16 PM

comments

LANSING, MI - They are not law breakers or rabble rousers. They are blind or disabled people who have long resisted disparate treatment and say, despite

some progress, there is much to be done to improve the lives and perception of people with disabilities.

"If we ever want an equal, first-class citizenship in this state, we need to stand up against anyone trying to keep us down," David Robinson, 70, of Jackson

said.

He and six others filed a lawsuit on Friday against several Michigan State Police troopers; the retired Capitol facilities director Dan Brocklehurst; and

two nonprofit groups, the Office of Disability Network/Michigan and the Capital Area Center for Independent Living.

They allege they were wrongfully kept from a Sept. 17, 2015 event outside the state Capitol organized by the nonprofits to celebrate the 25th anniversary

of the American with Disabilities Act. One of them, the lawsuit argues, was illegally and unjustifiably arrested and charged with a felony.

08/blind_capitol_protester_has_fe

This was done, they contend, because they voiced concerns about a sponsor they said pays disabled workers less than minimum wage and took issue with the

event's location - outside a building they believe is not in compliance with the 1990 federal act prohibiting discrimination.

"Such conduct cannot stand. American citizens have a constitutional right peaceably to assemble and to express their views, even when - especially when

- those views spark debate and promote a free exchange of ideas," the lawsuit states.

When contacted Saturday, Brocklehurst conceded organizers and officials did want "interference" from those there to cause disturbance. "They told us that

they were there to disrupt the event," he said before declining to discuss the case further because he had little knowledge of the lawsuit.

"We've yet to review the lawsuit since it was just filed today," state police spokeswoman Shanon Banner wrote in an email on Friday night. "Commenting at

this point would be premature."

Efforts to reach the organizing groups since Friday night were unsuccessful.

The lawsuit contends state police violated their civil rights and would not allow Robinson and about 15 others to go beyond the Gov. Austin Blair statue,

prompting complaints. The memorial stands about 150 feet from the east steps of the state Capitol during what was promoted as an open and free celebration.

Further, police arrested one of them, Paul Joseph Harcz Jr., 64, of Mount Morris, a blind man who weighs about 150 pounds and stands about 5 feet 8 inches

tall.

Harcz attempted to evade metal barriers and police troopers blocking their passage, using his cane, the lawsuit states, but troopers pushed him back from

the barricade.

Sgt. Edwin Henriquez testified he approached Harcz and supporters and told them they were welcome on state property but could not disrupt the event, according

to the lawsuit. He said Harcz was hitting officers on and between their legs with the walking stick and pushed officers.

The lawsuit called any report of Harcz shoving the officers false.

"At no point did (Harcz) assault, batter, wound, resist, obstruct, oppose or endanger the officers. He was just trying to find his way into the event..."

Henriquez grabbed Harcz by one arm and pulled him across and through the barricades. Trooper Ryan Davis took hold of his other arm. A third trooper, Stephen

Thomas, helped as Henriquez put Harcz in handcuffs and took him from the area, the lawsuit alleges.

They dragged him down a walkway. He went to jail and was charged with resisting or obstructing officers, a felony. The prosecution, according to the lawsuit,

was malicious and without cause.

The Ingham County Prosecutor's Office did not dismiss the case until nearly a year later, on Aug. 22. This was done at the order of Gretchen Whitmer, who

had become interim prosecutor as Stuart Dunnings battled prostitution allegations,

 according to the Detroit Free Press.

Harcz and the others could not file the lawsuit until after the criminal case was resolved, said Robinson, who supported his friend throughout the court

proceedings.

He said Harcz refused to plead guilty to a lesser charge, insisting he had done nothing wrong.

Harcz served on a planning committee for the 2015 celebration and he and the other plaintiffs brought their issues to Sara Grivetti, CEO of Disability Network

and chief event organizer by email and otherwise.

She and another leader talked to state police Sgt. Jeff Held about the possible protesters. Held assured her no one would be permitted to protest, the lawsuit

states.

"We just wanted to go there and talk to people and pass out our leaflets," Robinson said.

"They kept us apart from everyone else, like we were some sort of dangerous people."

All but one of the seven are disabled. One of them had a walker. Several carried white canes.

Safety considerations, Robinson said, are a "pretty lame excuse for denying us our civil rights."

Robinson, retired from a state agency, is president of the Jackson chapter of the National Federation of the Blind, and believes a disabled person should

be given the same opportunities to succeed - or fail - as anyone else in society. He has worked to improve the lives of people with disabilities by, for

example, pointing out problems with state web page accessibility.

"What we are trying to do is change the perception of disabled people," said Robinson, blind since he was 19 mostly because of glaucoma. "We want to change

the culture."

He and his fellow plaintiffs wanted to communicate that not all is perfect and "hunky dory."

If the lawsuit shocks authorities into taking positive action on behalf of people with disabilities, "that would be a wonderful thing," Robinson said.

"The reality of what was happening, the backlash to our message was so severe, so uncalled for, we had to do something that would show that people with

disabilities aren't going to sit down and shut up just because the bully state is going to do whatever they want."

Source:

http://www.mlive.com/news/jackson/index.ssf/2017/02/disabled_protesters_sue_troope.html