[nfbmi-talk] LCC Board of Trustees Meeting

Elizabeth Mohnke lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 18 21:20:09 UTC 2017

Hello All,

After speaking informally with an academic advisor during a student organization meeting on Friday, I was encouraged to attend the upcoming Lansing Community College Board of Trustees meeting to share my experience regarding a lack of accommodations and equal access to course materials and student services. This meeting is scheduled to take place on Monday, February 20, 2017 at 6:00 pm in the Administration Building Board Room.

According to the agenda, there are two places for public comment during the meeting. The first opportunity for public comment is limited to specific items that appear on the agenda. However, at the end of the meeting, there is an opportunity for general public comment. I have been told that they do not necessarily have a strict time limit for public comment, but they should be no longer than two or three minutes.

I plan to attend this meeting to share my frustrations regarding the lack of accommodations and equal access to course materials and student services I experience on campus as a blind student with an additional disability . Since adopting guidelines for creating accessible course materials and student services is currently a legislative priority of the National Federation of the Blind, I believe this would be a good opportunity to inform the LCC Board of Trustees as well as others in attendance at this meeting why it is important for the college to provide equal access to course materials and student services.

I would greatly appreciate the support of others during this meeting as I believe it can be more effective to speak with a collective voice rather than an individual voice. Therefore, I would greatly appreciate anyone who might be able to attend this meeting to share public comment regarding the importance of providing equal access to course materials and student services to attend this meeting with me.

Thanks,
Elizabeth Mohnke