[nFBMI-Talk] A Legal Mandate For Accessibility In The Workplace, etc.

Kane Brolin kbrolin65 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 14:09:33 UTC 2018

On 4/12/18, Fred Olver via NFBMI-Talk <nfbmi-talk at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>   ...  Draft a resolution or  ...  put together a bill to send to your state
> legislatures or  ...  Congress ... the government needs to mandate software
> accessibility across the board for all companies developing software in the United
> States that will work with both large print enlarging software and talking
> software/screen reading programs.

Fred, I love your passion in this area.  The bill, as I envision it,
would go further than just saying that software must be accessible as
it is developed.  It should also say that for any company that is
hiring subject to EEO considerations, that company must implement
accessible software for its core processes across the board.  This
would force HR in large organizations to proactively understand at
least the basic requirements for an accessible work environment.  I'm
all about it.  Then, the companies that must meet these requirements
toward those they hire, would lean on their software vendors to
deliver what is necessary.  I think this scenario, translated for the
university environment, is how the Federation successfully leaned on
Amazon and convinced them to change their tune vis-à-vis
accessibility.  Perhaps Apple, too.

Fred, thanks so much for your input.  I hope we meet later this year,
either in Michigan or in Orlando.  I dearly wish some in Indiana had
the passion that you, Terry Eagle, David Robinson, and Joe Harcz show
toward doing real activism for our cause.

Cordially,

-Kane