[nFBMI-Talk] Job Announcement From Ohio

Kane Brolin kbrolin65 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 3 20:49:29 UTC 2018

Hi, everybody.

David Andrews posted the following on the Jobs For The Blind mailing
list.  It sounds really intriguing and, provided the transportation
issues could work out, might be a great job for someone who has
organized a lot in the blindness or disability rights movement.  The
hiring org's Website is https://www.1199seiu.org/.

Definitely a job for someone with passion, which would take you to
Ohio, Kentucky, and West Virginia--thus, not terribly far away from
us.  The job is said to involve "some" travel, but might not involve
constant 24×7 travel.  I think the right blind person could rock in
this job.

I have attempted to correct some strange, special characters that
appeared in the original text, meant to be bullet points, which are
quite confusing if you're using a screen reader.  I've also have
inserted line breaks where they were meant to be and have put in what
I believe to be the correct e-mail for job applicants.  That address
also did not transfer well into the e-mailed job announcement.  I've
just done such editing so this announcement is more legible to us .

==============================
ADMINISTRATIVE ORGANIZER POSITION WV/KY/OH
Description An Administrative Service Employees International Union
District 1199
Organizer position in District 1199 WV/KY/OH is responsible for the following:
•	Working with members to enforce their union contract through the
grievance and arbitration process.
•	Increasing a union presence through leadership development and
structure building within union shops
•	Helping to build a powerful political program
•	Bargaining union contracts and running contract campaigns
•	Helping to bring a Union voice to more potential members

Qualifications Skills needed:
•	Good communication skills, professional discipline, excellent
organizational skills, good writing and basic math skills, basic
computer skills needed. You must possess good judgment, resiliency and
the flexibility to accommodate changing demands
•	Great people skills are a must, along with the ability to work with
people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
•	passion for justice, a willingness to learn, the ability to work
hard with irregular hours, and the ability to travel on occasion
•	Union or community organizing experience is preferred

Compensation
SEIU District 1199 WV/KY/OH offers competitive salaries, a full range
of benefits, and training.

Who is SEIU District 1199 WV/KY/OH?
We're nurses, caregivers, support staff and professionals. We work in
hospitals, nursing homes, mental health and DD care facilities, social
service agencies, Head Start programs, libraries, schools and other
health and human service centers. We're 26,000 people united by our
belief in the dignity and worth of workers. We organize to improve the
lives of working people and their families and lead the way to a more
just and humane society. We're part of the Service Employees
International Union (SEIU), America's largest and fastest growing
union. We're the union of health care and social service workers in
Ohio, West Virginia and eastern Kentucky: SEIU District 1199 WV/KY/OH.
If you want to put your mind and heart to work in the cause of a
better world, there's a role for you in SEIU District 1199 WV/KY/OH.

To Apply, Email jobs at seiu1199.org with a letter explaining why you
want to do this work, and the names and contact information of three
professional references.

Please place "Administrative Organizer"  in the subject line.

Kind regards,

-Kane