[nFBMI-Talk] article referenced in presidential release

Michael Powell mpowell7583 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 7 02:05:13 UTC 2018

Hello To all on this list.  As you have seen from a previous posting
President Riccobono, in the January Presidential Release, asked us to read
the article in the January Braille Monitor concerning the efforts to
reestablish accreditation of agencies for the blind with a new emphasis that
does not replace, but rather builds on the model of the old system that
excluded the blind and their elected representatives which our organization
opposed in the70's, 80's and the 90's.

I am attaching the article for your convenience.  I ask chapter leaders to
become familiar with this material and its history and be prepared to
discuss it with your members.  Those of us who were around in those times
will recognize some very disturbing patterns.

If the new professionals in the field of work for the blind really believe
this is a new beginning that is in process you sure wouldn't know it in how
forthcoming they were  in only responding when they were asked about it
rather than offer all potential stakeholders the opportunity to get involved
in discussions from the start.

So review this information.   I urge you to read, discuss and learn.

Michael Powell

President

(586)754-1325

Mpowell7583 at yahoo.com