[nFBMI-Talk] Join the Michigan Delegation for Washington Seminar 2018

J.J. Meddaugh jj at bestmidi.com
Tue Nov 27 05:11:27 UTC 2018

Hello.

It's already Thanksgiving, and that means that Washington Seminar is
just over two months away. Washington Seminar is one of the major ways
we let our voices be heard through advocacy, as we speak directly with
members of Congress about issues of importance to us and our
organization. For me, it is the event that solidified my desire to be in
the federation, and allowed me to see first-hand the real effects we can
have on society.

If you have any interest in atending, please send an Email to
vp at nfbmi.org with the information requested below. Whether you've
attended many times before or this would be your first, we'd love to
talk to you. This does not guarantee a spot but we will do our best to
assist those who are interested.

Here's some information to help you in your decision.

The Great Gathering In Meeting, barring a blizzard, is on Monday,
January 28 at 5 PM. This is a lively meeting where we talk about this
year's legislative priorities and how we are going to achieve them.
Often, members of Congress drop in and speak to us.

Meetings in our affiliate will be scheduled for Tuesday and Wednesday,
January 29 and 30.

Some other events at the seminar may be of interest, including the NABS
student meeting on Monday morning, and other division meetings.

Here's a page with more information from the national website
https://nfb.org/washington-seminar

The Michigan affiliate has allocated money to pay for two rooms for
Washington Seminar (up to 3 nights each). Financial assistance has also
been allocated from the affiliate.

We expect that those attending and receiving assistance will attend the
Great Gathering IN meeting and all appointments assigned to them on
Tuesday and Wednesday. Ideally, your flight will leave after 6 PM on
Wednesday. There will also be a short meeting to discuss our plans,
typically after the Great Gathering In.

I'm happy to help anyone in finding affordable flights or other travel
arrangements, or to answer any questions you may have. There are often
flights around $200 or cheaper from Detroit, Grand Rapids, Lansing, and
other areas. If you are a student and worried about missing classes, I'm
happy to help you work with your professors or teachers. Many are very
understanding and would be excited for you to harness this opportunity.

Please let me know if you're interested in coming by December 15, the
sooner the better.

So many of the rights we have today as blind Americans came about
because of the work at Washington Seminar. I hope to join you in
changing the future.

Here's the information to send:

Your name:
Email:
Cell phone:
Who is your representative in Congress? There are tools to look this up
if you are unsure.

Again, please Email these to vp at nfbmi.org by December 15.

Cordially,
J.J. Meddaugh, First Vice President