[NFBMI-Talk] Michigan's Got Talent: An Update!

Robert Earl Parsons robert.e.parsons at wmich.edu
Sun Oct 20 22:34:50 UTC 2019

Howdy Michiganders !

It's time for your update on the Michigan's Got Talent competition for our NFB of Michigan State Convention, brought to you by the Michigan Association of Blind Students! I know that we are preparing for a weekend full of advocacy, empowerment, and most of all, FUN! With the preregistration period ending, there may be some confusion for some of our members and attendees that may have missed the date, so here are a few updates about the event.

  *   Don't worry if you have missed preregistration for the event. Our board member with the voice, Taylor Arndt, will be at the door running admission into the talent competition. For a slight price increase of $7, we can assure you get a seat at this event and can take part in the fellowship and support of our competitors.
  *   If you have preregistered, that is great news! Be sure to pick up your registration packet at the beginning of convention on Friday, November 8 because inside of it will be a wristband. This wristband is proof that you have paid your $5 preregistration price to attend the competition. Simply show this wristband to Taylor at the door and you are on the fast track to your seat in the room.
  *   We have space for more competitors. There is still a chance for you to sign up and compete at the event. Visit nfbmi.org/convention now and look for the link to the Google Form that is for competitors to sign up. Remember, this is a talent show, so don't think you have to sing to compete. You can get up and read "Mary had a Little Lamb,"and still be eligible to win cash and other prizes. Remember, the offer still stands to have Robert be your backup dancer. I got mad skills!
  *   We have door prizes. Even if you are not planning to compete, attending the event itself puts you in the running for winning a fabulous MiABS door prize, provided by the generosity of Iota Phi Theta, Inc., a proud fraternity that your student division Vice President happens to be a  brother of. These are prizes that can't be won if you are not in the room, so be there or be square!
  *   We are providing appetizers! Thanks to our excellent white cane sponsors for this year's convention, this talent competition will host a cash bar, where you can enjoy the cocktail of your choice. However, we are also offering delicious appetizers, including chicken quesadillas and more, so get there early!

All this information and more can be provided over the phone or through some other means any time prior to the event. Simply contact your closest MiABS officer for more information or help with signing up to compete. We look forward to partying and connecting with all of you in Grand Rapids in a few weeks.

Best

Robert E. Parsons Jr.
President, Kalamazoo Chapter
Vice President, Michigan Association of Blind Students
Phone: 804 801 7674
"Without struggle, there is no progress." -Frederick Douglas