[NFBMI-Talk] CATA Test of Accessibility System

Fred Wurtzel f.wurtzel at att.net
Wed Oct 23 16:57:58 UTC 2019

Hello,

The Capital Area Transportation Authority (CATA) has a grant from the 8
million dollar challenge from the Michigan Department of Transportation to
test emerging accessibility technology for access to CATA line haul service.
They have contracted with a company called Looking Bus out of Ann Arbor.
This service utilizes a cell phone to help identify the correct bus and
alerts the driver that a blind person is attempting to board their bus.  The
idea is that the driver will not leave the stop until the blind person
boards.

This is very new technology.  For some reason, they started with an Android
app.  They are working on their IOS app and hope to have it finished within
2 weeks.

They are eager to meet blind bus users who would like to help them test the
system.  They are presently prepared to test on routes 1, 23 and all the
routes with 30 and above.  Clearly they are focusing on MSU students.  We
have suggested that they at least add route 3 and 13 to cover the west side
and northeast side of Lansing where there are malls.  The LCC campus also
has a very busy group of bus stops with a large number of routes meeting
there, including 3 and 13.

There will be an semi-formal meeting on Thursday evening (tomorrow) at 4:00
at the Sparrow professional Building lobby.  There is a route 1 stop just
outside the door there and there is room to congregate in their lobby.

I encourage anyone interested in being in on the ground floor of new
accessibility transportation systems to come out and find out what is
happening.  We always hate it when companies roll out technology to help
blind persons without talking to blind persons.  This company doesn't seem
to know that most blind folks use Apple phones, so, clearly, they need our
help.  The promising thing is that they are reaching out to blind folks in
the formative part of the development process.      This is our chance to
make a difference in the development of a system which may or may not end up
working and we may be able to help decide.

Warmest Regards,

Fred