[NFBMI-Talk] NFB of Michiana: "Coronavirus Stimulus Package F.A.Q.: Checks, Unemployment, Layoffs and More" - The New York Times

Kane Brolin kbrolin65 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 16:56:56 UTC 2020

Hello to all members and friends of the Michiana Chapter in the
National Federation of the Blind.  Wishing good health and many
blessings to all.  Glad tidings to our neighbors just north of the
Hoosier State, in Michigan.

Thanks to all who were able to participate in this morning's virtual
chapter meeting, held via Zoom.  For all those who could not be with
us, here is some timely information that will be directly relevant to
many in our region who are blind or of low vision.

At today's meeting, reference was made to the Federation-wide Zoom
meeting on Thursday evening, April 2, that included a live
Presidential Release #493 from Mr. Riccobono in Baltimore.  A replay
of this call plus the special Q&A session that followed it may be
accessed at https://www.nfb.org/resources/publications-and-media/presidential-releases.

On that call, President Riccobono pointed out that the Federation's
response to COVID-19 is found at
https://www.nfb.org/about-us/press-room/national-federation-blind-response-covid-19.
This page includes a link to the NFB's revised policy concerning
organized public events, ratified by the national board of directors
on March 13.  It also links to the World Health Organization and the
Centers for Disease Control so that
Federationists may have up-to-date and accurate information about the
novel coronavirus and about what we should be doing to lower the probability
that we and our loved ones contract COVID-19.

It was also emphasized that NFB-NEWSLINE® is a wonderful tool
available uniquely to blind and other print-disabled Americans that we
can use free of charge to connect to all kinds of information about our world,
including up-to-the-minute breaking news and statistics relating to
COVID-19.  All eligible Americans, whether Federationists or not,
should be registered for and actively utilizing NFB-NEWSLINE®.
http://nfbnewslineonline.org/index.htm

Last but not least, one of Michiana's charter members Jeanette Shown
read highlights from a recent article in The New York Times that
encapsulates key facts about economic impact payments, nutrition
assistance, and Social Security programs that will have a financial
impact on many of us as the result of the most recent stimulus package
that Congress and the president just ratified into law.
https://www.nytimes.com/article/coronavirus-stimulus-package-questions-answers.html

Among the important statements in this article are the following three:

1.  If you are eligible to receive an economic impact payment (a.k.a.,
stimulus payment) due to COVID-19, you should receive it on or around
April 17.

2.  Your economic impact payment is not taxable.

3.  If you are set up to receive SSDI or SSI payments via direct
deposit, then your economic impact [stimulus] payment will be
deposited into your bank or credit union, not sent via the postal
service in the form of a paper check.

Hope this is helpful to some.  I greatly look forward to having
 face-to-face fellowship together with many others in our movement in
both Indiana and Michigan later this year after the immediate threat
has subsided.

Cordially,

Kane Brolin
President, Michiana Chapter
National Federation of the Blind of Indiana
(574)386-8868 (mobile)