[NFBMI-Talk] FW: Corvid19 Testing Access

Victor Marques therealvictormarques at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 22:35:59 UTC 2020

Fred,

This is something that I have tried to address directly to the public health departments in both Kalamazoo (where I live) and Allegan County (where I work).  Allegan County does not even have testing in that county and are sending people to Holland, Grand Rapids or Kalamazoo, which affects the population that I work with (the uninsured), who are likely also not to drive.  In my case, my wife and I are both blind and would likely have no form of transportation to get tested:  I can’t imagine a friend or family member would be willing to drive me if I was likely positive, the bus is no longer running, paratransit is screening out riders with symptoms, and Uber/Lyft would likely refuse me if I told them I was likely positive and needing to get tested.  This is a serious public health issue, and a piecemail solution like saying that each local center should make their own arrangements is not going to work.  There should be a state-wide contract with some form of non-emergency medical transport provider that could transport those with disabilities, blind persons or even those without transportation, even if there is a reasonable fee attached to that service.  I hope this issue reaches the higher levels of government, because my efforts locally have fallen on deaf ears:  I keep being told that they are doing the best they can to keep their workers safe, which I understand, but as it stands now I would probably have to call an ambulance if symptoms got so bad that I couldn’t manage, and likely wouldn’t be able to access testing at all if the symptoms were manageable.

Thanks
Victor