[NFBMI-Talk] Opportunity to Foster Positive Change At WMU

Robert Earl Parsons robert.e.parsons at wmich.edu
Wed Oct 28 00:33:37 UTC 2020

Good Evening Lisa

First, I'd like to commend your enthusiasm and initiative in assuring that students at WMU are being provided accessibility in the virtual setting. I am, however, a bit perplexed about the issues you are facing with Microsoft Teams and the course you are in. As a rehabilitation counseling student, my clinical practicum was in Microsoft Teams and I did not have a problem this summer working with it. I've also spoken with two students that are currently enrolled in the same VRT course and they have not experienced problems with the platform or joining the classroom activities.
As we are still deeply involved in assuring change at WMU, I think it may be helpful that you attend our next Kalamazoo chapter meeting. At our October meeting, we had an enthusiastic conversation with a WMU undergraduate student that expressed difficulty with instructors that were not providing reasonable accommodations. During that discussion, I outlined the process in which the Federation affects change. Generally, we attempt to work on things at the local level, providing amicable feedback about impediments to accessibility. If these requests remain unresolved, we work on this within the chapter and affiliate, providing an united front when conversing with the other party. For this reason, the Kalamazoo chapter submitted a resolution that hopes to inform the state of the organization's knowledge of its shortcomings in the area of accessibility and accommodation provision. Such starts the process of change, whether willingly or through facilitated means. All of these items were included in the minutes which our chapter secretary, Monet Payne, submitted to our Kalamazoo chapter list serve.
Though I appreciate your dedication to bringing attention to perceived accessibility barriers, this method, in my opinion, is not the most productive. First, sending such a request to the state list serve invites people who are not students at Western or students in general to complete a task that does not directly involve or effect them. This email address is one that is connected to an administrator at a state facility and though I know that the members of this affiliate would never mishandle a request, it just is not a good move to encourage non-students to send testimonials at this moment because then the potency of the argument is lost. An university administrator will only be interested in the students of the university bringing this issue to the table first and unfortunately I don't think that this is the case right now.
Finally, I think that we have to be careful when we declare something inaccessible. Like every identity (race, gender, ability status, etc.), blind people are not monolithic and come with varying abilities and skill levels. What makes a reasonable accommodation reasonable is that it is perceived to be utilitarian in its service provision. This means that it not only provides the greatest good for the greatest amount of people who want it, but that it does that for the greatest amount of people  who need it. With less than 10% of the blind VRT cohort  at the moment experiencing this problem while using this platform, the department would not consider this an accessibility barrier and it would be a bit presumptive of them to create a completely different pathway to the course's completion. Things like this, I believe, lowers expectations which is something we never want because that makes it difficult for the next blind student to come in the program and thrive, despite already having the skills to complete the task or platform we would be petitioning to get rid of. As always, I invite you to attend our meeting on November 10, a date which will hopefully see our resolution being supported by this wonderful affiliate and the process moving forward. I would also encourage you to converse with a few of the VRT students that are blind. Rachel and Osman have both used teams in the same class and though I am not sure what the dilemma was for you, I'm sure that they would be willing to share some of the key commands for teams with you.

Blessings

Robert E. Parsons, Jr.
President| Kalamazoo Chapter
Vice President| Michigan Association of Blind Students
Board Member| National Federation of the Blind of Michigan
Board Member| National Association of Blind Students
Masters Student| Rehabilitation Counseling and Vision Rehabilitation Therapy
Western Michigan University '21
Pronouns: He, Him, His