[NFBMI-Talk] Get Fit in the West: ABVI Guided Running and Walking

Robert Earl Parsons robert.e.parsons at wmich.edu
Wed Apr 21 17:26:59 UTC 2021

Hey Family!

I hope that this message finds you all well. I am writing with pride as I present you with the flyer for my first project as an intern at Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation Hospital and the Association for the Blind and Visually Impaired in Grand Rapids. We are presenting a three-evening class on guided running and walking. We will discuss and practice sighted guide, guided running using Paralympic tethers, and other important factors to this activity, with a special presentation from NFB of Nevada president, Terri Rupp. This is the first of different types of adaptive sports I am fitting to become inclusive for blind people, as the hospital didn’t prioritize blindness or patients with it when developing their activities.  Prior to my arrival.
We are currently looking for blind people that want to walk or run as a participant in the activity. We are also looking for sighted people that are interested in learning how to be a guide and serve as a volunteer. Volunteers have to come to every class because they will be paired with a blind person as their partner. The cost of the classes for participants is $10 plus a processing fee, volunteers are free of charge. This event will take place at the Mary Free Bed YMCA in Grand Rapids  in the evenings and I invite you all to register to participate, but most of all please spread the word. If people have trouble with registering for technological reasons, they can call me on the phone number in the flyer and I will register them via telephone. We have a cap of 20 participants because of the pandemic guidelines , so I urge you to register soon if you plan to partake.

With Love

Robert E. Parsons, Jr.
Board Member| National Federation of the Blind of Michigan
Board Member| National Association of Blind Students
Vision Rehabilitation Therapy Intern
Association for the Blind and Visually Impaired
Western Michigan University ‘21
P: (616) 840-7236
(57236)

This message has been scanned for malware by Websense. www.websense.com<http://www.websense.com/>