[NFBMI-Talk] Braille Bibles Available--They Need A New Home Quickly!

Kane Brolin kbrolin65 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 28 15:55:55 UTC 2021

Hello.  I am sending this to a number of lists containing members who
might be interested in the info I am about to impart.

Two days ago, I was saddened to learn of the death of Mr. David Kline,
a blind acquaintance who resided in the Greater South Bend area of
Indiana for the last several years of his life.

Mr. Kline, I suspect, is in his seventies.  I gather he is a graduate
of the Indiana School for the Blind, because he had in his possession
a Braille alumni directory that was published in 1995.  His passing
occurred sometime around August 21, 2021, and his next of kin had to
clear out the place he was living in very quickly, as all had to be
out by the close of August.

I do not know anything about David's family legacy except for his
nieces, who are related to him by marriage.  I have no sense of
whether there will be a celebration of life or a burial service or of
who all might have survived him.  I cannot find anything that is
published online.  But if there is abiding interest, I will do my best
to point you in a direction where more info might be available.

At any rate, when I discussed with his nieces, I learned that David
also had in his possession two complete sets of the Authorized Version
of the Holy Bible [a.k.a., King James Version] in Grade II Braille,
both having been published by the American Bible Society.  One set has
burgundy-colored covers, while the other set has black covers; the
black appears to be exactly like the set that I have had for nearly 40
years.  I have to think that somebody would love these Bible sets.
The binding is a bit frayed, but overall the volumes look solid.  The
Braille is in great condition, the pages are not dirty or torn, and
overall it appears that David took good care of these Bibles even
though he apparently had lived in many different places through the
course of his life.

I did not know David terribly well.  He is said to have had a number
of health challenges later in life aside from his blindness.  He
complained that his balance was not good, so he was not inclined to
travel beyond his home very often.  I wish I had made the effort to
know him better, because David came across to me as an articulate man
who had experienced a lot in his life.  I could not convince him to
involve himself with the Federation of the 21st century, nor could I
convince him to upgrade his technological knowhow.  But in
communicating with him a couple of times, I inferred that David had
been involved with some part of the NFB of Indiana during the 1960s
and 1970s.

Right now the Bibles are sitting in my office in Mishawaka, in several
boxes.  I do not want money for these but will not incur the cost and
effort to ship them commercially.  Yet one of David's nieces, named
Tamara, says she loves to drive--yes, those are her exact words--and
she is open to delivering these books to someone within a reasonable
distance who could use them.

If you know of anyone who would have an abiding interest in these
Bibles, or if you yourself have an interest in David and the
trajectory his life took following his presumed experience at
I.S.B.V.I., please reply to me privately at kbrolin65 at gmail.com or
phone my mobile at (574)386-8868.

Thank you and God bless.

Cordially,

Kane Brolin
President, Michiana Chapter
National Federation of the Blind of Indiana
(574)386-8868 (mobile)