[NFBMI-Talk] Penny Forward Podcast S2022E8 Where No Blind Actor Has Gone Before

Kane Brolin kbrolin65 at gmail.com
Wed May 4 13:15:15 UTC 2022

Greetings.
I know that this date on the calendar is all about Star Wars.  But
time to make room for another iconic science fiction franchise.

This week’s guest on the podcast is Bruce Horak, the first blind actor
ever to perform as part of the Star Trek franchise .  He can be seen
in Star Trek: Strange New Worlds     for Paramount Plus as the blind
alien engineer Hemmer.

The Penny Forward podcast is about blind people building bright
futures one penny at a time. Listen by asking your smart speaker to
play the podcast, “Penny Forward”, searching for “Penny Forward” using
your favorite podcast app, or by visiting pennyforward.com/podcast.

Bruce is originally from Calgary, Alberta, Canada  where he trained in
theatre and Improvisation. Horak lost over 90% of his eyesight to
Retinoblastoma, a childhood cancer.  He has worked for over 25 years
as an actor, writer, musician, composer, and painter, often creating
work which addresses vision-loss, perspective, and perseverance.  His
one-person shows have taken him all over the world.  “This is CANCER”
premiered in 2006 at the Summerworks festival in Toronto, and went on
to be performed over 1000 times earning awards from coast to coast.
“Assassinating Thomson” premiered in 2013 and has been produced nearly
800 times.  The    National Arts Centre, Common Boots Theatre, The
Blyth Festival, and Manitoba Theatre Centre are just a few of the
spaces to present his work.

When not creating new works and performing onstage, Bruce devotes his
time to painting.  More can be seen at http://www.brucehorak.com/
A full text transcript of this episode can be found at
https://pennyforward.com/penny-forward-transcript-s2022e8-where-no-blind-actor-has-gone-before/

Yes, I know this is not NFB business.  But as an organization, we're
all about extolling the virtues of blind actors and actresses
performing on the stage, not just settling for sighted performers who
play blind roles.  I am sending this out to lots of people because I
think it is worth celebrating and tracking.

May the 4th be with you!

Kind regards,

Kane Brolin
President, Michiana Chapter