[NFBMI-Talk] NFB of Michigan Six Dot Stride

Robert Earl Parsons robert.e.parsons at wmich.edu
Sun Oct 2 17:02:55 UTC 2022

Happy Blindness Equality Achievement Month Michigan Federationists!!!!

How blessed are we to be in the position where we can affect change at the state level and promote the independence and achievement of our membership and blind people nationwide over the next thirty days. All over the country as you read this, blind people in state affiliates around the country are working on different ways in which the public can be educated on the great work the Federation does to increase expectations for blind people and to ascertain that our access to parts of everyday life, simple and complex, are made possible.
This year, the NFB of Michigan is focused on the resurgence of blind youth, families and parents in our affiliate. This is being done through the active work we've done to allocate funding for programs for families to attend during the fall, our programming at our state convention and the creation of our youth planning committee, which will work on future projects for the year. This month, however, our fundraising committee and state affiliate wants YOUR help! The NFB of Michigan's Six Dot Stride fundraiser is now live and we invite you all to sign up to take the stride with blind families as we turn dreams into realities. The Six Dot Stride is a virtual walk-a-thon fundraiser where members can sign up to walk for our cause and promote the fundraiser to their friends for support. This is a virtual fundraiser, which means we don't want you accepting money from donors, rather have donors pledge their donations using the Rally Up platform link that we are providing. Our state website has a landing page that explains the rules of the fundraiser, the cause for the campaign and the rules for how you or your donors can qualify for prizes. Remember, you will NOT be considered for a prize if you do not participate, so putting some skin in the game will be the only way you will have a shot. Speaking of prizes, let's talk about them:

  *   RayCon Wireless Bluetooth Earbuds (Prize for Highest Donor Pledge)
  *   Apple TV 4k Streaming Device (Prize for NFBMI Member that Raises the Most in Pledges)
  *   $50 Visa Gift Card (Prize Awarded to Two NFBMI Members that Walk the Most on November 5)

Remember, to be a part of the fun, you must be a part of the fun. So, when you look at the prizes, do know that there are rules associated with them. Participants must sign up to promote and take part in the virtual walkathon by October 15 to be considered for a prize.  You also MUST be at our 2022 State Convention in Grand Rapids if you are interested in competing for the Visa Gift Cards, as well as provide yours truly with a screenshot of your distance walked on November 5 by 5pm EDT.  Take a trip to www.nfbmi.org/six-dot-stride<http://www.nfbmi.org/six-dot-stride> to learn more about our fundraiser and how you can sign up as a participant. If you have any questions about the sign up process or have challenges with technology, please feel free to reach out to me at (269) 216-8640. We look forward to striding with you on the way to higher opportunities and expectations for blind families.

EVENT LINK: https://www.nfbmi.org/six-dot-stride

With Love, Hope and Determination,

Robert E. Parsons, Jr., M.A., M.A., CRC, CVRT, LLPC
President| At Large Chapter
Board Member| National Federation of the Blind of Michigan
Doctoral Student| Counselor Education and Supervision
Western Michigan University '25
Pronouns: He, Him, His
P: (269) 216-8640