[NFBMI-Talk] Karen Evans

fred wurtzel f.wurtzel at att.net
Thu Aug 10 14:14:38 UTC 2023

Hello,

As many of you are aware, Karen Evans ,  MSB class of 1959, passed away June
10.  There will be no formal funeral service.  However, an informal
Celebration of life gathering will be held on August 19 at Coral Gables
Restaurant 2838 Grand River Avenue, East Lansing, MI. There will be pizza
and salad provided.  As Karen's friends know very well, Coral Gables was her
go-to place to eat. It seemed like an appropriate and fitting place to
celebrate her life and meet together in remembrance.

Karen was a pioneer in the blindness community.  She was a trailblazer at
the University of Michigan where she and Geer Wilcox were the first blind
persons to receive a master's degree in social work.  The U of M school of
Social Work is rated number 1 in the nation.  Karen went on to be the head
of social work for St. Lawrence Hospital in Lansing.  After her retirement,
she continued to practice Social Work for a private company.  Karen set a
standard of excellence for professional achievement for all people along
with blind folks.  Karen was an active member of First Christian Church in
Lansing.  She served on the Board of Elders and sang in the choir for many
years along with many other positions of responsibility.  She was a very
active, beloved and highly respected member of the church.

Please spread the word of the event in Karen's honor. I will try to keep a
count of folks who will attend, so, please drop me a quick note if you
expect to come so that we can inform the restaurant.  Thank you. Everyone is
welcome and we hope that Karen's friends and acquaintances feel welcome to
come and share memories of Karen with all of us.

If you have questions, please contact me by email at f.wurtzel at att.net
<mailto:f.wurtzel at att.net>  or call 517-256-5575.

Warmest Regards,

Fred Wurtzel