[NFBMI-Talk] Justice Department Advances Proposed Title II Rule to Strengthen Web and Mobile App Access for People with Disabilities

Kane Brolin kbrolin65 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 16:07:03 UTC 2023

It's no secret that we in the National Federation of the Blind
promoted the Websites and Software Applications Accessibility Act
strongly at #NFBWS23.  But it is also no secret that this act has yet
to be formally introduced to either chamber of Congress as I write
this on July 26, 2023.

Fortunately, some people in the executive branch of the U.S. federal
government are keeping their eye on the ball and figuring out how to
set and enforce standards applying to state and local government
Websites without Congress' necessarily having to get involved.  I
presume that DOJ is trying to come up with guidance that will serve as
a safe harbor against lawsuits if an entity demonstrates they have
abided by this guidance.

The following message came to me indirectly, from a listserv
maintained by the U.S. Department of Justice.