[NFBMI-Talk] FYI: Braille On United Airlines--And Other Useful Bits From CVS

Kane Brolin kbrolin65 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 29 00:09:32 UTC 2023

Good evening, everybody.

Sometimes, it is helpful for us in the organized blind movement to
hear about small victories out in the world that we are winning even
though many of us may not realize it.  I heard about one of these just
this morning in a news roundup from the British Broadcasting
Corporation (BBC).  Then, I found the following print story to support
it, published on Yahoo! News:

"United Airlines becomes first U.S. carrier to add Braille to planes."
https://news.yahoo.com/united-airlines-becomes-first-u-170600099.html

Christopher Brito

Fri, July 28, 2023 at 12:06 PM CDT·2 min read

"United Airlines announced Thursday it will add Braille to the
interiors of its planes, becoming first U.S. carrier to implement the
signage.

"The airline said it has about a dozen aircraft with Braille markings
for individual rows, seat numbers and inside and outside lavatories.
United said it expects to equip its entire mainline fleet with Braille
by the end of 2026.

"More than 27 million people with disabilities traveled by air in
2019, according to the Department of Transportation. Linda Jojo,
executive vice president and chief customer officer for United,
acknowledged the difficulties experienced by customers who are blind
or have visual disabilities.

"'Finding your seat on a plane or getting to the restroom is something
most of us take for granted, but for millions of our customers, it can
be a challenge to do independently,' she
said in a statement. 'By adding more tactile signage throughout our
interiors, we're making the flying experience more inclusive and
accessible, and that's good for everyone.'"

And then there is what the drugstore chain CVS is doing, also in a low
tech setting.  These might not necessarily be a game-changer for the
blind; but they would benefit diabetics and others who have lost
dexterity as a consequence of peripheral neuropathy.  Some of the
affected individuals also will be blind or of low vision.

"CVS Rolls Out Collection Of Accessible Products" - Disability Scoop
https://www.disabilityscoop.com/2023/07/25/cvs-rolls-out-collection-of-accessible-products/30473/

"CVS is offering a new line of self-care tools created to be more inclusive.

"CVS is introducing a new line of tweezers, nail clippers and other
self-care tools designed to be easier for people with disabilities to
use.

"The drugstore’s Universal Tools collection includes six items that
the company said were all created in collaboration with members of the
disability community.

"The nail clippers, scissors, tweezers, nail nippers, cuticle nippers
and pumice stones have special features to make them more accessible
like wide, open handles and non-slip, easy-to-grip silicone, CVS said.
Surveys and in-home testing informed the products and their packaging.

"“We know that it’s not enough to just stand for inclusivity and
diversity — it needs to be seen through the products and services we
are providing,” said Andrea Harrison, vice president of merchandising
for beauty and personal care at CVS Health. “The introduction of the
Universal Tools collection ladders back to our continued efforts to
make self-care solutions more inclusive for all of our consumers.”

"The new products are part of CVS’ one+other brand, which debuted
earlier this year with an eye toward offering consumers a way to
practice self-care at an accessible price point, the company
indicated.

"The Universal Tools collection is available online and in CVS stores
nationwide with prices ranging from $6.49 to $16.99."

Proof positive that serving customers with disabilities does not
require a tech genius or the spending of hundreds of thousands of
dollars on futuristic, electronic solutions.

Neither of these tidbits was from the Federation, but both give me
encouragement.

Cordially,

-Kane