[NFBMI-Talk] Watch Party: "All The Light We Cannot See" - Tuesdays In November Beginning At 9:00 PM Eastern/8:00 PM Central

Kane Brolin kbrolin65 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 02:12:37 UTC 2023

Greetings, everybody.

As one who presides over an affiliate of the National Federation of
the Blind, I do not make it a standard practice to forward messages
from any blindness organization that is not the NFB.  But I think the
below is a worthy exception.

The San Francisco LightHouse is hosting a four-part watch party series
online.  Each installment features an audio-described episode of a
Netflix series called "All The Light We Cannot See."  NFB National
President Riccobono has had good things to say about this mini-series.
Tune in beginning at 9:00 PM Eastern Time on most Tuesdays in
November--beginning tomorrow, November 7.  It is courtesy of the Reel
Escape Audio Description Club at the San Francisco LightHouse.   If
interested in taking part tomorrow, you must RSVP no later than 7:00
PM on Tuesday the 7th by communicating with Jamie Gump:
JGump at lighthouse-sf.org or (415)694-7372.

The page describing this upcoming, serial watch party is found at
https://lighthouse-sf.org/2023/11/03/watch-netflixs-all-the-light-we-cannot-see-miniseries-with-lighthouse/.

Just to set some background, "All The Light We Cannot See" is a
limited series produced for Netflix that is being streamed on Netflix
only.  It tells the story of two teenagers during World War II, one a
blind girl in Nazi-occupied France, the other a German orphan boy
pressed into service by the Nazi army. With this story not only being
about a blind teenager, but also played by a blind actress, the
LightHouse Community Services team saw it as appropriate to invite
friends from all over the world to share in this as a community event.

The novel, authored by Anthony Doerr and published in 2014, was a #1
New York Times bestseller, and it is the winner of a Pulitzer Prize.
"All The Light We Cannot See" the novel is downloadable on BARD as
DB79182, and it is available from Bookshare at
https://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/5699472?returnPath=L3NlYXJjaD9tb2R1bGVOYW1lPXB1YmxpYyZrZXl3b3JkPSUyNTI2cXVvdCUyNTNCYWxsJTJCdGhlJTJCbGlnaHQlMkJ3ZSUyQmNhbm5vdCUyQnNlZSUyNTI2cXVvdCUyNTNC.

Even apart from the San Francisco LightHouse's framing of this in a
watch party context, this mini-series serves as a wonderful
opportunity to share a positive message about blindness, even as it
occurs in the midst of an inhumane struggle such as World War II.  It
serves not only as good drama, but as a chance to showcasing blind
lead actress Aria Maria Loberti, proving that a blind actor can rock
the sound stage and pull off a convincing role in big-time, streaming
television.

Do consider spending a part of your Tuesday evening, or some other
evening in the near future, taking in "All The Light We Cannot See."

Cordially,

Kane Brolin