[NFBMI-Talk] NFB Youth and Family Committee Meeting

tara.morgan180 at gmail.com tara.morgan180 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 16:08:18 UTC 2023

Hello Federation Family and Friends,

The Youth and Family Committee will be holding a meeting this coming Friday,
Oct 19th at 6PM via the Michigan Zoom Room. The link for the meeting is
below. During this meeting, we will discuss the small details such as set up
and program volunteers. The convention is quickly approaching so any, and
all help is appreciated.

 <https://zoom.us/j/9612695221?pwd=dHlxZDNwcVVZbUVTYUM5cEU4cDlndz09>
https://zoom.us/j/9612695221?pwd=dHlxZDNwcVVZbUVTYUM5cEU4cDlndz09

Zoom ID: 9612695221 passcode 902855.

To recap what we have so far:

Braille Carnival: building off last year's idea, we have decided to try this
concept again, but with many more stations related to braille games and
Braille education, while at the same time introducing one or two unique
methods for learning braille. Some of the stations will include:

.          A table that showcases braille playing Cards as well as Uno
playing cards.

.          A braille Bingo Table.

.          A table that shows the braille monopoly board, where people will
be able to experience how to do things such as move your pieces, roll the
dice, identify their piece buy properties. Unfortunately, we cannot do a
full monopoly game, as fun as that would be in the time we have!

.          A table showcasing the Braille learning toy known as Polly.

.          Tables containing various braille writing implements

There are more things than what I have included in this list, because I am
trying to keep this email more on the level of a novella rather than a
full-blown novel.

Braille around the house: there are a lot of different things that we can
use around the house such as braille labels, bump dots, as well as various
appliances and items to increase independence, which many people are not
aware of. The Braille around the house event will include things such as:

.          Braille measuring cups and spoons, as well as talking about how
to use them.

.          Braille measuring tape

.          Showing appliances with braille on them such as a braille
microwave

.          Accessible prescription labels (still in the works)

I look forward to speaking with everyone on Friday.

Tara Morgan

Vision Rehabilitation Therapy Student

Western Michigan University