[Nfbmo] Web Site Includes Not Being Loaded

Peter Donahue pdonahue1 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Oct 25 21:18:55 UTC 2008

Hello Matt and listers,

    Personal Home Page was the original name for PHP. It was changed to
Hypertext Preprocessor later on. I can't remember the exact reason or the
exact date when the change occurred. It's a different name for the same
animal, or in this case a Web Language.

    We've diagnosed the problem with the includes and know how to fix it.
The problem with the includes not loading is one of an absolute path verses
a relative path. When the new site pages were originally created absolute
paths were used in the URLS to site and page content including those include
files. I'll try not to go over anyone's head with the explanation.

    On the old server the include file for the site navigation menu lived
at: http://www.nfbmo.org/menu.php. The tag used is:
<?php include "http://www.nfbmo.org/menu.php"; ?>

    For these to work on the new server the above tag will need to be
rewritten to read as follows:
<?php include "menu.php"; ?>

    Since your new site has lots of pages this will take some time to modify
that path so the include loads correctly. I'll be working on this over the
next few days. I'll also try to address some of the issues Shelia Wright
brought to my attention as I go, but getting the navigation menu working on
every page is a priority.  If Dan or Gary H. can give me a hand with this
that will speed things up greatly. I need to fix this on five different
affiliate sites with this problem so if you guys can lend me a hand that
will be very much appreciated. .

    At least I know what's wrong and how to fix it. I just fixed the Memphis
Federation of the Blind site and everything is working correctly now. The
business of upgrading Web Sites and Servers can sure have its boobytraps and
surprises. Thanks for your understanding and patience. All the best for a
great weekend.

Peter Donahue