[Nfbmo] employment, education, are you ar Braille or Print Reader

Rita A Lynch ralynch1950 at embarqmail.com
Tue Apr 14 21:53:23 UTC 2009

Hi Debbie,

Like Susan, you know most of this about me what I am about to say, but since
you asked and if it will help, I will tell it.

I learned Braille about half of my life ago, about age 30.  I am so glad
that I did so as it is a tremendous help to me in my everyday activities.  I
would not be able to do my job, Rehabilitation Teacher for the blind, if I
had not learned Braille.  Unlike some of my friends, however, who learned
Braille at a much younger age, I am not a fast reader of Braille so I choose
not to read Braille aloud in public.  When I need to make a report, etc. I
do the outline in Braille and go from this.  I, of course, use Braille
everyday on my job and at home.  There are so many ways that I use Braille
but just a few to mention are teaching Braille, labeling file folders in
Braille, keeping my roladex for work and home in Braille, do my budgeting in
Braille including my checks written, etc., have my appliances marked in
Braille, use Braille cookbooks, label my mail in Braille that I need to keep
as I get it, keep appointments in Braille, and have my to do lists and my
grocery lists in Braille.
     I also read to my grandchildren in Braille and use Braille recreational
items.
     I do write out my own checks with the help of a check writing guide and
I also use the raised line checks.  Large print is of no help to me but I do
find electronic notetakers and computers essential but I never want to be
without my slate and stylus and/or my Perkins Brailler.  I feel that if I
had learned Braille as a youngster, I feel certain that I would have been a
much better reader but am glad that I learned it when I did.