[Nfbmo] Reading Rights Coalition to Participate in LA Times Festival of Books

Freeh, Jessica JFreeh at nfb.org
Tue Apr 21 23:14:51 UTC 2009

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:

  Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, ext. 2330

(410) 262-1281 (Cell)
<mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>cdanielsen at nfb.org

Reading Rights Coalition to
Participate in LA Times Festival of Books

Readers with Print Disabilities Will Urge Authors
  to Allow Everyone Access to E-books

Los Angeles, California (April 21, 2009): The
Reading Rights Coalition will participate in the
LA Times Festival of Books to educate authors
about the need to enable text-to-speech for books
available for Amazon’s Kindle 2 reading
device.  The LA Times Festival of Books will take
place April 25–26 at the University of California
at Los Angeles and the Reading Rights Coalition
will be in booth #207 located in zone B.  The
coalition includes the blind, people with
dyslexia, people with learning or processing
issues, seniors losing vision, people with spinal
cord injuries, people recovering from strokes,
and many others for whom the addition of
text-to-speech on the Kindle 2 promises for the
first time easy, mainstream access to over 260,000 books.

Deborah Kent, who is blind and has written over
one hundred books for children and young adults,
said: “As both a blind person and a writer, I
understand the importance of access to books for
people of all ages and using all kinds of reading
methods.  The inclusion of text-to-speech in
e-books for the Kindle 2 will help many young
people with print disabilities to gain access to
books, thereby ensuring that they will receive an equal education.”

Randy Shaw, who will be speaking at the Book
Festival about his new book, Beyond the
Fields:  Cesar Chavez, the UFW, and the Struggle
for Justice in the 21st Century and is the author
of The Activist’s Handbook, said: “As a writer, I
see e-books not as a potential threat to my
rights but as a way for my work to reach a
broader market.  Readers who have never purchased
books before because they were inaccessible will
now join the book-buying public, increasing the
revenue and reach of writers on every subject and in every literary genre.”

Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the National
Federation of the Blind, said: “The issue of
text-to-speech in e-books for the Kindle 2 is not
one of copyrights but of civil rights.  The
Reading Rights Coalition stands for the principle
that when an individual has lawfully purchased an
e-book, he or she should be able to read it in
whatever medium is most suitable for him or
her.  This principle advances the work of writers
rather than taking rights away from them, and it
allows people for whom reading was either an
impossibility or a chore to join the mainstream
of society.  We hope to persuade our friends in
the literary community that it is in their best
interest to make their books available with
text-to-speech, but in any event we will not stop
our campaign until everyone has access to e-books.”

For more information about the Reading Rights
Coalition, please visit
<http://www.readingrights.org/>www.readingrights.org.
To sign our petition, go to
<http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/We-Want-To-Read>http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/We-Want-To-Read.
If you are an author who supports our cause,
please send your contact information to
<mailto:readingrights at nfb.org>readingrights at nfb.org.