[Nfbmo] A sad announcement

MATTHEW SIEVERT msievert at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 3 17:45:40 UTC 2009

I knew Billie and Lawson Weaver before I participated in the Springfield NFB. While working as an usher at Hammons Student Center Billie and Lawson had seats on the disabled platform in the area I worked. They would both come for Missouri State Lady Bears games, and Lawson would sometimes come for Mens games, but men's tickets were in a different area of the building. Billie would watch the came with her pair of binoculars while Lawson would diligently keep track of the statistics with a pen and the printed game program.

What surprised me was that Lawson and Billie both knew I was visually impaired but never mentioned it to me. We talked, and I knew Billie was visually impaired and Lawson had some other health issues. They were very polite and Lawson would  tip me for taking care of both of them during the events, and at Christmas time we exchanged greeting cards. Their card always had money in it with the note "Have a steak dinner on us." They never mentioned their involvement with the local NFB chapter to me.

I found out they were members when I attended a Springfield NFB meeting and saw them both in attendance. During that meeting they were recognized for their long time service, and Lawson presented a check for $200.00 for the chapter.

Billie and Lawson Weaver will be greatly missed, however as with all influential people in our world. Their contributions both monetary and spiritually will be carried on for generations to come.

Thank you for your time, and everyone please have a productive and happy new year.