[Nfbmo] Some thoughts on technology.

Fred goodfolks at charter.net
Thu May 21 19:11:51 UTC 2009

If you are reading this, then you are somewhat of a technology geek. You are
somewhat familiar with computers, if only how to turn them on, make them
produce visual or audio information for you and take you some different
places whether by email or internet web pages.

Before this year's state convention I suggested we have a seminar on
technology and because of the timing there was no way to work it in. I have
decided because of my many years spent surfing the web, developing my own
web page and becoming somewhat familiar with document transfer and other
aspects of computer use that from time to time I would share some of my
information with you. If you're not interested just hit the "delete" key and
move on, if you are interested, I think you'll find this information most
interesting, at least I hope so.

Today, I want to talk about a site, or rather the out-growth of a site, or
just one of the paths one can take on a site.

The Hadley School for the Blind offers a myriad of courses for anyone,
including blind and deaf-blind adults. These courses are related to Grade 1
and two Braille, various mathematics courses college classes on blindness,
adjusting to blindness and low vision and one can even earn their G.E.D if
they desire.

As well, they offer from time to time audio seminars for anyone to
participate in and since I just downloaded one of them, I thought I'd share
the entire list of available past seminars with you. These seminars are in
MP3 format and easily played on your computer. In each case, there is a way
to listen, oftentimes this same link will allow one to download the file
while it is playing and sometimes there are resources listed, or rather a
link to resources listed below the seminar recording itself.

In order to download the seminar merely hit enter on the link to the seminar
itself. It will start playing on your computer. At that point hit the alt
key, or go to the file menu and arrow down to the save or save as item. Hit
enter and tab through the fields which will tell you the filename, and where
you will be saving the item. I find it most useful to save these items
either to my downloads or my documents folder for easy retrieval. Once you
have hit the enter key on save, although the file will continue to play, you
will hear various percentages or see them, these numbers represent the
percent of the file which is saved. Once this number gets to 100, or your
screne reader takes you back to the file menu, the file has been saved and
you can hit F4 to close the file for reading later..
I miss-spoke, it appears there is a download link for each of the seminars
and all you need do is hit enter on the download link, then use your tab key
to determine what the file name is and where it will be saved, hit enter on
save, tab again through your choices, hit enter on save and the file will
then be saved to your computer.

 At this point, you could put the file on a flash drive, or on your Victor
Stream for listening at any time. My next item will talk a bit about the
Victor Reader and other storage devices.

Now the list. I was so excited to see some of the items on this list so I
copied it to my clipboard and am pasting it after my signature. If you want
to listen or download any of the files just go to:

http://www.hadley.edu and look for the link for past seminars. Now, here's
the list.

Fred Olver  goodfolks at charter.net

Past Seminars
Self-Employment and Working from Home

Self-Employment and Working from Home Streaming Audio
Self-Employment and Working from Home Download Audio Recording

Getting Healthy With Yoga

Getting Healthy With Yoga Streaming Audio
Getting Healthy With Yoga Download Audio Recording

Crockpot: Slow and Easy Cooking

Crockpot: Slow and Easy Cooking Streaming Audio
Crockpot: Slow and Easy Cooking Download Audio Recording
Crockpot: Slow and Easy Cooking Resources list

Fishing with Lawrence Euteneier on the Blind Fishing Boat

Fishing with Lawrence Euteneier on the Blind Fishing Boat Streaming Audio
Fishing with Lawrence Euteneier on the Blind Fishing Boat Download Audio
Recording

Staying Safe Online

Staying Safe Online Streaming Audio
Staying Safe Online Download Audio Recording

Managing Diabetes with a Healthy Diet

Managing Diabetes with a Healthy Diet Streaming Audio
Managing Diabetes with a Healthy Diet Download Audio Recording
Managing Diabetes with a Healthy Diet Reading list

Aging and Low Vision

Aging and Low Vision Stream Streaming Audio
Aging and Low Vision Stream Download Audio Recording
Aging and Low Vision Resources list

The Features of the Victor Reader Stream

The Features of the Victor Reader Stream Streaming Audio
The Features of the Victor Reader Stream Download Audio Recording

The Customer Service Frame of Mind

The Customer Service Frame of Mind Streaming Audio
The Customer Service Frame of Mind Download Audio Recording

Dating - the Basics and Beyond

Dating - the Basics and Beyond Streaming Audio
Dating - the Basics and Beyond Download Audio Recording

Holiday Baking: Stirring it up in the Kitchen

Holiday Baking Streaming Audio
Holiday Baking Download Audio Recording
Holiday Baking Resources list
Holiday Baking Transcript

Challenges of a Parent Who is Visually Impaired

Challenges of a Parent Who is Visually Impaired: Streaming Audio
Challenges of a Parent Who is Visually Impaired: Download Audio Recording
Challenges of a Parent Who is Visually Impaired: Resources list

Skiing the fun and safe way

Skiing: Streaming Audio
Skiing: Download Audio Recording

Sharing Experiences: High and Low Tech Solutions that Help Make My Day

High and Low Tech Solutions: Streaming Audio
High and Low Tech Solutions: Download Audio Recording
High and Low Tech Solutions: Resources

Surfing the Web with ZoomText

Surfing the Web with ZoomText Streaming Audio
Surfing the Web with ZoomText Download Audio Recording

Resource documents in RTF format:
ZoomText 9 Web Finder
ZoomText Hotkeys
ZoomText Verbosity Settings
ZoomText Resources

Woodworking Techniques: Selecting and Using Routers and Router Tables

Woodworking Techniques: Selecting and Using Routers and Router Tables
Streaming Audio
Woodworking Techniques: Selecting and Using Routers and Router Tables
Download Audio Recording

Features of the PAC Mate Omni Accessible Pocket PC

Features of the PAC Mate Omni Accessible Pocket PC Streaming Audio
Features of the PAC Mate Omni Accessible Pocket PC Download Audio Recording

The U.S. Experience from a Chinese Perspective

The U.S. Experience from a Chinese Perspective Streaming Audio
The U.S. Experience from a Chinese Perspective Download Audio Recording

Mobile Access and Your Adaptive Technology

Mobile Access and Your Adaptive Technology Streaming Audio
Mobile Access and Your Adaptive Technology Download Audio Recording

Seven Important Ideas for Positive Life Change

Seven Important Ideas for Positive Life Change Streaming Audio
Seven Important Ideas for Positive Life Change Download Audio Recording

Sawdust 101- Adaptive Techniques for Blind Woodworkers

Woodworking for the Blind Streaming Audio
Woodworking for the Blind Download Audio Recording

Interior Design and Organization

Interior Design Streaming Audio
Interior Design Download Audio Recording
Interior Design Resource List

Bookshare.org, Hadley's Virtual Library

Bookshare Streaming Audio
Bookshare Download Audio Recording

Harvest the Benefits of Gardening

Gardening Streaming Audio
Gardening Download Audio Recording
Gardening Resource List
Gardening Transcript

Accessible Technology from HumanWare

HumanWare Streaming Audio
HumanWare Download Audio Recording

Successful Business Ownership

Successful Business Ownership Streaming Audio
Successful Business Ownership Download Audio Recording

Experts in JAWS and MAGIC

Freedom Scientific Streaming Audio
Freedom Scientific Download Audio Recording
Freedom Scientific Resources List

Guide Dog

Guide Dog Streaming Audio
Guide Dog Download Audio Recording
Guide Dog Resources List

Healthy Eating Seminar

Healthy Eating Streaming Audio
Healthy Eating Download Audio Recording
Healthy Eating Resources List

Kids in the Kitchen Seminar Offers Safety, Teaching Tips

Kids in the Kitchen Streaming Audio
Kids in the Kitchen Download Audio Recording

Focus on Employment: A Panel Discussion

Inside Employment: A Panel Discussion Streaming Audio
Inside Employment: A Panel Discussion Download Audio Recording

Open the Door to Recreation Opportunities

Recreation Opportunities Streaming Audio
Recreation Opportunities Download Audio Recording
Recreation Opportunities Resources List

Backyard Entertaining Seminar puts the Sizzle in Summer

Backyard Entertaining Streaming Audio
Backyard Entertaining Download Audio Recording

Emergency Preparedness and Disaster Survival

Emergency Preparedness and Disaster Survival Streaming Audio
Emergency Preparedness and Disaster Survival Download Audio Recording

Digital Accessibility in the Workplace

Digital Accessibility Streaming Audio
Digital Accessibility Download Audio Recording
Digital Accessibility Resource List

Beat the Rush with Online Shopping

Online Shopping Streaming Audio
Online Shopping Download Audio Recording
Online Shopping Resources List

Talking Turkey: Blind and Low Vision Cooks Share Tips, Techniques and
Accessible Resources

Cooking Tips Streaming Audio
Cooking Tips Download Audio Recording
Cooking Tips Resources List

Visiting China Online - Vision Impairment and China

Visiting China Streaming Audio
Visiting China Download Audio Recording

Braille: Every Day, Every Way

Braille Streaming Audio
Braille Download Audio Recording
Braille Resource List

What Color is Your Parachute? A Conversation with the Author

What Color is Your Parachute? Streaming Audio
What Color is Your Parachute? Download Audio Recording