[Nfbmo] Fw: [MediaReq] FW: Blio E-Book store to launche on Sep 28th

DanFlasar at aol.com DanFlasar at aol.com
Thu Sep 16 15:59:33 UTC 2010

Fred,
     Thanks for forwarding this post!
     I attended a demo of Blio at the National  Convention and was *very*
impressed with it.  It's intended for
all users, sighted, VI or blind thus eliminating the segregation of   the
reading public.  To sighted readers it
offers a full true-scanned image of the original book including all
illustrations and text, the ability to change
the presentation of the book (double-page, single page or maginification)
as well as for some books the
ability to highlight the word, line or sentence being read aloud  by Blio's
native text-to-speech engine (a very
academic almost-British voice).  It can also work with screen readers  if
you prefer a different speech engine -
I'm not sure if the highlighting ability is maintained.  Blio offers
bookmarking and I think I recall that it offers
the ability to enter notes associated with bookmarks.  It is also  intended
to be device-independent - it will be
available on any current computing platform and operating system, pad (like
 the iPad and others coming out)
and smart phones.
     I was really impressed with what I saw at the  demo.  It was noted
that Blio will have an integrated link
to a book distributing firm which willl allow Blio users to purchase Blio
formatted ebooks at a competitive
price to other platforms like the inaccessible Kindle and Nook.  As it  was
explained, since all currently pub-
lished books are already in a digital format to prepare them for printing,
a Blio program reads books from proprietary publishing digital formats  and
translate them into the Blio format, speeding up the
process of making books available.   If this sounds cumbersome,  it's not
-the same thing has to be done
to ready books for printing by a given printing house.
      I'm really excited about this and will be  downloading Blio next week!
Dan

In a message dated 9/16/2010 6:20:09 A.M. Central Daylight Time,