[Nfbmo] The Loss of A Dear Friend

Shelia Wright sbwright95 at att.net
Sat Sep 18 03:52:15 UTC 2010

Dear Federation Family,

I and the Kansas City Chapter feel a great loss of a dear friend and
Federation colleague. Though she has not been able to participate in many of
our most recent activities, so many of our federation memories between 1990
and the present includes our dear friend Martha Young.

We learned tonight that Martha passed away on Wednesday, September 15th. I
know that many of you across the state will miss her too.

Please keep Martha's sister, children and grand children in your prayers.

Below is the obituary that ran in today's Kansas City Star.

Martha, I know you tried to keep up with all of those you called "the young
people". So I will end this with the lingo of today's youth. RIP!

Shelia Wright

MARTHA FRANCES YOUNG

Photo

Martha Frances Young was born on January 31, 1924, in Stanley, KS to John
Zebedee Linder and Blanche Merle Linder. She passed away quietly on
September 15, 2010, at Garden Valley Manor & Rehabilitation Center at the
age of 86. She leaves behind her sister, Edna Clark, her son, Michael Young
and his wife, Ruth and her daughter, Janice Valenti and her three grandsons,
Paul, Jeffrey and wife, Jenifer, Kevin and wife, Melissa and six
great-grandchildren, Jordon, Jackson, Nicolas, Joseph, Anna and Matthew and
many-in-laws, nephews, and nieces. As a young woman, Martha was very active
in her church. She was one of the earliest members of the Park Hill
Christian Church and was the first Chi Rho leader in that church's history.
She was also very active in their vacation bible school program and loved
working with children and young people. In later life she became a Weight
Watcher lecturer and traveled around to various small towns in Missouri
bringing her message of "program" foods and how to lose weight the healthy
way. She was also a member of various organizations and because she suffered
from macular degeneration, the one dearest to her heart was the National
Federation of the Blind, where she spent a lot of her time and energy
helping those who could not see as well as she could. Donations in her
memory can be made to Park Hill Christian Church, 6601 NW 72nd St., Kansas
City, MO 64151. A memorial service will be held at Garden Village, 8550
North Granby, Kansas City, MO 64154 in the third floor chapel on Saturday,
September 18, 2010, at 3pm.