[Nfbmo] FW: Reply from Senator McCaskill

Gary Wunder GWunder at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 1 21:57:05 UTC 2011

Can anyone guess, from this response I've just received, what it was I was
writing to the senator about? I remember 25 years ago getting a tremendous
laugh at a meeting of the Board of Directors when I'd read a letter from a
little-known one-term state representative that went something like this:

Dear Mr. Wunder:

Thank you very much for writing me to express your views about this issue
which is of so much importance to you. Please be assured that I always
welcome whatever my constituents have to say and I will keep your views in
mind if and when you're issue comes before the House of Representatives for
a vote.

Please be assured that my door is always open in my attempt to be responsive
to your needs. Again I thank you for writing me about this issue which is of
the utmost importance to you.

I wonder if there is much difference between that letter and the one you
will see below? Frankly I am surprised. I am reminded of the days when I
would correspond with Sen. John Danforth and his letter would either say I
support this, I haven't yet made up my mind, or I oppose this but appreciate
your opinion just the same. I also remember dialogue which led to his
changing his position on at least one occasion and the changing of my own
position on another. I'm not sure this letter will lead to any kind of
dialogue. I welcome your comments.

  _____