[Nfbmo] Springfield MO Voters Pass City Smoking Ban

Horchem Gary horchemg at gary-springfield-mo.net
Wed Apr 6 01:57:53 UTC 2011

Good evening folks the days of smoking on public buildings is over here is the article from kolr 10 TV

(Springfield, MO) -- Voters in Springfield have passed an ordinance to make all businesses in the city smoke-free.
On Tuesday, the proposed "Question 2" on the ballot (official wording below), passed.
The smoking ban makes lighting up illegal in Springfield inside any enclosed business or private club. Smokers can't take a drag within five feet of a playground, and smoking will only be allowed in fewer than a quarter of hotel rooms.
Supporters of the ban say it's a public health issue.
"I don't feel like anybody is going to go out of business," said Melanie Donnell, who is a supporter of the ban. "I feel like in this day and age there is a lot more non-smoking community than there is a smoking community."
The other side focused on the rights of consumers and businesses, noting the ordinance will close up shop on a lot of jobs.
"So you're going to be talking about a loss of revenue right off the bat. For anybody to say that there's not an economic impact, they're wrong," said Dave Myers, a coordinator for Live Free Springfield.
Live Free Springfield did a lot of last-minute campaigning against the proposed smoking ban at a few locations Tuesday.

"I've been on the phone for hours and hours, yesterday alone," Myers told KOLR/KSFX on election night. "So, I've been talking a lot."

Supporters spent time the last few days putting up signs and door hangars.

"We've just been getting out and talking to voters and reminding them to vote and just passing out our information and literature," said Carrie Reynolds, spokesperson for Clean Air Springfield.

Organizers for Live Free Springfield say this is about jobs. They know of several businesses planning to file injunctions to sue the city now that it's passed.
The City of Springfield would then make a filing in court and would be responsible to defend a vote of the people.
A city spokesman didn't provide specifics on how much this would cost, but the legal proceedings would require staff time and resources to prepare.
The ordinance states that the ban will go into effect 60 days after adoption.
The Health Department will enforce the ban, informing the public, offering resources and information during the transition period and assisting businesses as they work toward compliance.
This will be a combination of regular inspections, like usual and customary restaurant inspections, as well as a complaint-based enforcement system.
Question 2:
[Shall the City of Springfield, Missouri prohibit smoking in enclosed public places, places of employment, private clubs, within five feet of outdoor playgrounds and within five feet of outside entrances, operable windows, and ventilation systems of enclosed areas where smoking is prohibited, and exempt the following places from smoking prohibition: a) private residences, unless such residence is used as a child care, adult day care, or healthcare facility; b) not more than 25 percent of the hotel or motel rooms rented to guests as smoking rooms; and c) outdoor areas of places of employment; providing for the imposition of a fine of $50 per violation for any person violating said ordinance by smoking, upon a finding of guilt or admission of guilt; upon a finding of guilt or admission of guilt, providing for fines ranging from $100-$500 per day against the owner, operator, manager or any agent who controls a public place or place of employment or any business, and allows smoking to occur on the premises; providing for revocation of any license or permit issue to the business or public place that permits such violations; requiring that businesses and public places place signage advising of the prohibition on smoking?]