[Nfbmo] Blind folks in Missouri

Matt Sievert matt.sievert at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 13:44:33 UTC 2011

Group,

I hope you are all doing well this holiday season.

I found this article on the Springfield News-Leader web site today regarding a project sponsored by the Lighthouse for the blind out of St. Louis.

The group provides activities and an opportunity for visually impaired and blind teenagers go socialize and participate in activities together.

I wish a group like this existed when I was a teenager.

I attended the Student Network events back when Mr. Arnold and Mr. Wozniak were organizing them, but in my mind that was "too late" to change a lot of things that had gone wrong with my high school and college experience.

It is important to understand that being a mainstream educated visually impaired student has its social and professional disadvantages.

http://www.news-leader.com/article/20111216/LIFE/112160330/southwest-kids-in-action-blind-rock-climbing?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|p