[Nfbmo] Question about the religious affiliation of the NFB

DanFlasar at aol.com DanFlasar at aol.com
Tue Mar 29 03:57:59 UTC 2011

Hi - thanks for all those who have worked so hard to put  together another
informative and successful state convention.   St.  Joe did a great job and
though the food at the banquet wasn't quite up to par,  the program was!
Lois really knows how to move things along and  the banquet speech was the
best I think I've ever had to good luck to hear at  any state convention
anywhere!

    I have a specifically legal question to ask  about the NFB.
    When telling some of my international friends today  about the
convention, what topics were presented and what the agenda  was about, one of them
asked me if the NFB was affiliated with any  religion.  This came about in
reference to my mentioning that there  was a prayer breakfast.  They asked me
what religion the NFB was associated  with.
    I've noticed that there doesn't seem to be a  particularly wide range
of religious diversity w/in the NFB of Missouri - that  is - it seems to be
predominately Christian and that there are Christian  prayers offered at the
beginning of the daily session.   My question  is, I've never seen any
reference of any affiliation in any chapter, state or  national charter
documents.  I ask this question because members of  other religions such as Judaism,
Hinduism, Islam, Mormonism and  Buddhism prefer to be a part of
organizations that are  non-denominational.   I have assured them that NFB membership
and  services are non-discriminative in every way but I couldn't answer that
there was not some general religious affiliation.  I was surprised to learn
the Habitat for Humanity, another organization I support, identifies itself
as  Christian.
   So can anyone answer this for me?
Thanks very much,
Dan