[Nfbmo] Fw: blind student takes science class

DanFlasar at aol.com DanFlasar at aol.com
Tue Nov 22 21:47:33 UTC 2011

Jim,
   Thanks for theforward.  There have been means of  translating
mathematical notation into symbols entirely available using a  keyboard.  As a matter
of fact, early mathematical programs and programming  languages only had
ascii text available to program mathematics.  For  example, x squared would be
typed in as X**2, x cubed would be X**3 and so  on.  It's not as elegant and
concise, but it worked.  The problem here  is that text-recognition
software and OCR programs cannot transform scientific  notation into keyboard
format.
   I don't see any reason why this couldn't be done.
   This does not, however, address the issue of graphs and  charts.
Dan

In a message dated 11/22/2011 10:29:28 A.M. Central Standard Time,