[Nfbmo] Fw: interesting story

James Moynihan jamesmmoynihan at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 09:54:21 UTC 2011

fyi

I thought you would enjoy this.

Cordially,

Jim Moynihan
----- Original Message -----
From: "Neuman, Dale A." <NeumanD at umkc.edu>
To: <jamesmmoynihan at gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, October 05, 2011 8:24 PM
Subject: interesting story

FOX Sports

Updated Oct 5, 2011 7:43 PM ET

Ronnie Presnell crossed an item off his bucket list today at Charlotte Motor
Speedway as the retired Mecklenburg County sheriff’s deputy, who lost his
sight in 1998, took a spin around the superspeedway in his restored 1968
Chevrolet Camaro.

 <http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/gallery/NASCAR-photos-blind-man-takes-a-lap-around-Charlotte-Motor-Speedway-October-2011>SEEING ISBELIEVING<http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/gallery/NASCAR-photos-blind-man-takes-a-lap-around-Charlotte-Motor-Speedway-October-2011>Ronnie Presnell's achieves his vision by driving blind around NASCAR track.PHOTOS<http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/gallery/NASCAR-photos-blind-man-takes-a-lap-around-Charlotte-Motor-Speedway-October-2011>The 62-year-old Presnell received a bit of coaching during his cruise aroundthe track from NASCAR driver and SPEED TV personality KennyWallace<http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/cup/driver/kenny-wallace/439365>,who rode with Presnell and instructed him when to turn left or right.In 1998, a car accident left Presnell in a coma for six weeks. His injurieswere so severe that he needed reconstructive surgery on his face and hepermanently lost his eyesight. After he returned home from the hospital, hetold his wife that he needed a project to work on. Presnell began restoringa 1968 Camaro, complete with 327 high-performance engine and Viper Red MetalFlake paint job, with the hopes of one day driving it around Charlotte MotorSpeedway.Presnell’s ride around the track was the first time he had been behind thewheel of a street car since his accident. However, throughout his lifePresnell, who lives in Mooresville, N.C., has spent plenty of time behindthe wheel. He has racing in his blood, having competed in the LimitedSportsman division on local dirt tracks and at Metrolina Speedway in theHobby division, the latter on the same nights as NASCAR legend DaleEarnhardt. Presnell even won a race at Metrolina Speedway on the nightbefore his accident. He built his own race cars and did all of the enginework himself.After his ride around Charlotte Motor Speedway, Presnell compared theexperience to those from his racing days.“That sure felt different than driving a car on a dirt track,” Presnell saidimmediately after emerging from his Camaro. “It was awesome. I alwayswondered what it would be like to ride on the banking like that. It was moreextreme than I thought it would be.” <http://www.foxsportswest.com/08/29/11/Blind-woman-throws-out-first-pitch/landing_dodgers.html?blockID=555478&feedID=7972>Though he joked that he wanted to “turn a lap fast enough to qualify for theBank of America 500” on Oct. 15, Presnell and Wallace cruised around thetrack between 20 and 25 miles per hour. Presnell thanked Wallace for hishelp, but also joked that while the Camaro was handling well, he started tohave concerns about his co-pilot.“I thought at one point we were going to have to come into the pits to makesome adjustments on Kenny,” Presnell said. “A few times during the ride hekept saying ‘My heart’s skipping a beat.’ I was worried.”Following the ride in the Camaro, Presnell and Wallace swapped seats andWallace gave Presnell a full-speed ride around Charlotte Motor Speedway in aRichard Petty Driving Experience stock car.“I loved the sound of the engine, it was awesome,” Presnell said.“It was a life lesson for me,” said Wallace. “I was so excited to helpRonnie out. This is a big deal for me,Dale A. NeumanDirector, Harry S Truman Center for Governmental AffairsSpecial Projects Associate, College of Arts and SciencesProfessor Emeritus of Political Science816-235-6108 or 816-235-2787FAX 816-235-5191Neumand at umkc.edu