[Nfbmo] What would you do?

fred olver goodfolks at charter.net
Mon Oct 24 13:44:50 UTC 2011

A year ago, I attended a Trivia Night put on by a food pantry in the St. Louis area. This pantry is supported by my church along with several others. After the night's program was over, half of the categories being visual in nature so that a blind person could not participate in that portion of the program I wrote an item for my churches news-letter and sent it on to the director of the organization. In this item I pointed out that it was not fair or necessary to include only video-type questions and asked that they do, in the future consider having categories which were non-video in the future. I received assurances from the director of the organization that indeed they would do this.

Last Friday, I attended their Trivia Nighht again. True, only two categories of questions were video in nature, however these two categories included roughly 1/3 of the questions. Yesterday at a meeting of a church committee I suggested that they with-hold two weeks worth of donations and that these donations go to another organization as a protest, the rest of the committee said no to this idea, sighting the possibility that a family might have to do without this food, I personally doubt it, and figure they're just to comfortable in their place and don't wish to because it doesn't affect them, so what would you do if you were in my place? This really upsets me, especially since I had spoken to this organization a year ago and they had more or less agreed that this was not a good thing to have happen.

Fred Olver
http://www.dealingwithvisionloss.com  For some of us it's a way of life and for some of us it just makes life easier. Fred Olver