[Nfbmo] FW: [Nfb-rdcomm] FW: Google Alert - autonomous vehicles

Gary Wunder GWunder at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 27 15:44:37 UTC 2011

Hi Fred.  These are good questions.  At this point we certainly don't know
the cost of this technology, but since transportation is a major barrier to
employment, it is very likely that anybody who is sincerely interested in
some kind of employment will be able to get assistance in the purchase of
one of these vehicles through VR or other grants.

When you ask about a blown fuse, the same question applies to airplanes.
What you end up needing is a system that has built-in redundancy.  Generally
when the public thinks about relying on the computer, they immediately see
the blue screen of death and think, what would this mean if the computer
doing my word processing was instead driving my car.  In many cases where
system reliability is required, there are multiple computers connected to
different power circuitry and sometimes even multiple lines to important
controls.  Certainly this will have to be part of the redundancy testing
that Google does before these cars are licensed to be on the road.  It won't
be of much help to have a sighted and presumably capable driver as a backup
if one is taking advantage of the car's ability to drive itself and so is
talking on the phone, writing a document, or looking to the backseat to
resolve a dispute among children.  It will be nice to be able to drive for
the sighted, but I don't think these cars will be licensed until they are
fully capable of bringing themselves to a safe stop should problems occur.

There is, of course, a lot of speculation in what I'm writing.  No rehab
agency has yet authorized the purchase of a car because there is no car out
there to purchase.  I have heard that the state of Nevada is looking into
licensing these vehicles, but mostly state law doesn't make any provision
for vehicles that can drive themselves or that can be driven without vision.
Still, the idea that these will be available by 2020 seems quite ambitious
to me but not at all beyond possibility.  I guess we'll all have to go along
for the ride and see what the future brings.