[Nfbmo] {Disarmed} Fw: The World is Watching...We Need You TODAY!

McMahon, Cory J cory.j.mcmahon at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 12:34:55 UTC 2012

FYI.

----- Original Message -----
From: Paraquad
To: cory.j.mcmahon at gmail.com
Sent: Tuesday, December 04, 2012 6:00 AM
Subject: The World is Watching...We Need You TODAY!

      If you'd like to view this email in a Web browser, please click here
      Forward this mailing.

                        December 4, 2012

                        Rally at Sen. Blunt's office!
                        TODAY! Tuesday, December 4th, at 9:30am

                        As a leader in disability rights and accessibility in Saint Louis, Paraquad is calling on Congress to advance the rights of people with disabilities worldwide!

                        We need you to tell Senator Blunt that you support the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) and he should too. Senator Blunt was previously in support of this important treaty; however, after opposition stepped up their attack he is wavering on support. We need you to tell Senator Blunt to stand strong and support the CRPD!

                        Join disability rights advocates and help advance global access to justice, health, education, employment, and independent living! There are a few ways you can help:

                        Join Paraquad for a rally at Senator Blunt's Office
                        TODAY, December 4th, at 9:30 am
                        7700 Bonhomme
                        Clayton, MO 63105

                        If you have already called, call again! Or call Capitol Switchboard to reach ANY Senator (202) 224-3121

                        Call and ask to speak with the offices of the senators below and tell them that:

                        "I am a person with a disability and/or advocate and I am counting on you to vote YES for the CRPD without new amendments."

                        Don't worry that these senators aren't from your state - this is an United States disability movement! We need to flood the switchboard in order to show our commitment to the rights of people with disabilities.

                        Senators to Call
                        Isakson (GA)
                        Chambliss (GA)
                        Grassley (IA)
                        Moran (KS)
                        Blunt (MO)
                        Heller (NV)
                        Hutchison (TX)
                        Hatch (UT)

                        Unfamiliar with the CRPD? Here are some talking points to help you understand the importance of this treaty.

                        What is the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD)?

                        *  The Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) is a UN treaty. It creates an international advisory forum for the sharing of ideas in order to advance accessibility and disability rights worldwide. This treaty encourages and strengthens the global progression towards the goals of inclusion, equal opportunity, full participation, independent living, and economic self-sufficiency for people with disabilities worldwide.

                        *  117 nations have already ratified the treaty and told the world that they will work to protect and advance the human and civil rights of people with disabilities.

                        *  The United States has NOT ratified the CRPD.

                        Why should the United States Support the CRPD?

                        *  By supporting the CRPD, the United States will reaffirm our serious commitment to equal treatment and non-discrimination for people with disabilities.

                        * Ratifying the CRPD will set an example for other nations across the globe and will advance disability rights, equality, and justice worldwide.

                        *  Ratifying the CRPD will enable the United States to continue our global leadership and provide guidance and expertise to other countries regarding disability rights and inclusion. We can use our experience with the ADA, IDEA, Olmstead, and the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 to help advance the rights of the disability community worldwide.

                        *  The CRPD is the only international human rights instrument in the world that recognizes deaf people and their language.

                        *  The CRPD will protect US citizens with disabilities abroad, including our veteran population, who live, work, travel, and study outside the US. By supporting the CRPD, the US will encourage other countries to provide the high level of accessibility and inclusion that Americans with Disabilities have at home.

                        What the CRPD Does NOT Do

                        *  The CRPD does NOT dictate how children are taught in schools or how parents raise children.

                        *  The CRPD does NOT infringe on parental rights.

                        *  The laws in the United States that dictate education and parental rights are protected under the CRPD. The United States will NOT be forced to change our constitution or existing laws.

                        *  The CRPD does NOT change the definition of disability. Disability will be defined based on current US laws.