[Nfbmo] Heritage for the Blind

DanFlasar at aol.com DanFlasar at aol.com
Wed May 2 20:00:47 UTC 2012

Jim and Gene,
    I opened up a thread on this list last year and did  some
investigation.  Heritage for the Blind is a scam, along with a long  list of other
charitable-sounding groups like Cars for Veterans, Cars, Cars  for Kids and a lot,
lot more.   There was a pending case in  NYC regarding a fringe religious
group that was/is behind a lot of these  fraudulent campaigns.  When I did a
google search on the tax status of the  group behind Heritage for the blind,
I found that they had arrangements  with junkyards all over the state to
collect the cash for the donated  vehicles.  They may be tax-exempt but all
they did was file the paperwork  to get the status.  As I understand it, it
can only be lifted if  challenged.
     I really think that the national NFB should take a  position on this
out-in-the-open fraud.
    The Heritage for the Blind notes that their primary  activity is a
website directing blind people to nationwide services.  Not  only are the
services listed far from comprehensive, the website is  inaccessible, it crashes
easily and the contact us link goes nowhere.

Dan

In a message dated 5/2/2012 1:16:38 P.M. Central Daylight Time,