[Nfbmo] Jernigan Award

DanFlasar at aol.com DanFlasar at aol.com
Fri May 4 16:05:19 UTC 2012

Hi everyone,
I haven't been very active lately - as some of you know, I've had some
medical problems for the last 2 months, which is why I wasn't able to attend
our  state convention. Without getting into a lot of detail, I've been dealing
with  severe back and leg pain. I am relieved to say that my prognosis is
looking much  better over the next few months - it's going to take a lot of
rehab work - and  I'm ready for it.

As many of you may know, acute medical conditions - and the consequent pain
 and continuous consultations, procedures and tests - can contract your
life. The  routines of living become disrupted and sometimes have to be
renegotiated.  Normal interests in the outside world are displaced by the regimens
of therapy  and aleviation of symptoms. Forgoing usual social get-togethers
(like chapter  meetings and conventions) further increase a sense of
isolation. Of course, we  all learn to cope with these things over time, and I am
grateful for all my  family and friends who have kept in touch.

I was feeling physically and emotionally very low the night I listened to
the convention banquet speeches. The announcement that I had been selected
to  receive the Jernigan award took me very much by surprise - I was - and
still am  - moved to tears.

I was reminded of the reasons I sought out the NFB in the first place. I
was losing my vision, unsure about my job, my life and how I would adapt. I
wanted to find confident, accomplished, compassionate and energetic people
who  had successfully dealt with what I was going through - to learn from
their  experiences and make new friends.
Well... I got what I was looking for - and a lot more.
I have always tried to contribute to the NFB - but I can never equal the
warmth and friendship you all have given to me over the years. I am very
humbled  and grateful by the recognition the Jernigan Award represents, and I
promise  that I will always do my best to live up to it.

Thank you very much, my friends.

Dan Flasar