[Nfbmo] Senate vote on UN Treaty on Disabled Persons Rights

DanFlasar at aol.com DanFlasar at aol.com
Tue Nov 27 22:48:40 UTC 2012

Hi all,
   I've been listening to the Senate Debate on the UN Disability  Rights
Treaty - it doesn't appear to me that the opposition has made much  headway -
a strong bipartisan group of influential Senators (both within and  across
party liens) have been speaking for the Treaty continuously (currently
seeking quorum) - all objections have been thoroughly noted and, well, disposed
of since they weren't really very well-founded to begin with.
    This is a good sign - I'll send out a note when I get  the result.
   But, it's still important to send out an email or tweet  to support this
treaty to Senators Blunt and McCaskil
- see below sig for info.   Fortunately, both our Missouri  Senators tend
to support our issues..
Dan
PS:   A note about tweeting - evidently, tweeting is now a  favored way to
get the attention of your legislators - short messages can be  easily
counted so show of support is easier to gauge for them.
    For more info - see Jesse Hartel's note below the email  info, along
with tweet addresses for Blunt and McCaskill.

email:
Sen. Blunt:
_http://www.blunt.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/contact-roy_
(http://www.blunt.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/contact-roy)

Sen. Claire McCaskill
_http://clairemccaskill.com/contact_ (http://clairemccaskill.com/contact)

Fellow  Federationist:

We are continuing to  build support for the United Nations Convention on
the Rights of Persons with  Disabilities (CRPD).  We believe at this time that
we have met the  two-thirds vote requirement for ratification.  However,
opponents of the  treaty continue to tell Senators that Americans with
disabilities don’t really  support the CRPD.  We must therefore continue to counter
these attacks by  urging Senators to support ratification.  I am asking you
to contact your  Senators on Monday, November 26, and tell them that blind
Americans want their  vote on the Convention on the Rights of Persons with
Disabilities.  You can  be connected with your Senators’ offices by calling
the Capitol switchboard at  202-224-3121.  I appreciate all of the tweets the
NFB generated a couple of  weeks ago on this topic, and request that those
of you that have Twitter  accounts also send tweets to your Senators, and
request that your followers  retweet your messages.  Below is a list of Senate
Twitter handles.  If  you use Twitter, please be sure to include the
hashtag #CRPD in your  tweets.  Please contact me with any questions.  The
grassroots effort  of the NFB can get us to a floor vote, if we all do our part.
Thank you  all in advance for your work on this important matter.   Jesse

Missouri
Sen. Roy  Blunt
@RoyBlunt

Sen. Claire  McCaskill