[Nfbmo] Action taken on US Senate consideration of UN Disability Rights Treaty

DanFlasar at aol.com DanFlasar at aol.com
Wed Nov 28 05:11:47 UTC 2012

>From the US Senate web page (link below) the Senate  today voted to move
the consideration of the UN Convention of the Rights of  Disabled People to
Executive Session. The Yeas were 61, 36 Nays and 3 didn't  vote.  Sen. Claire
McCaskill (D, MO) voted Yea, Sen. Roy Blunt, (R, MO)  voted Nay.
      So, for all you political wonks out there -  what exactly does this
mean?  I looked through the Senate reference page,  and I quote:

Executive Session: In the Senate, a portion of most  days is given to
executive business with the Senate meeting in _executive  session_
(http://www.senate.gov/pagelayout/art/a_three_sections_with_teasers/art_hist_home.htm)  to
consider treaties or presidential nominations. Although such  sessions were
closed for many years, the modern Senate does most of its  executive
business in open Session - that is, not behind closed doors, with or  w/o cameras
present.  I'm not sure what the status of the Treaty is right  now, but
given that ratification only needs simple majority, it looks like it  will be
passed.  There were a number of objections to this treaty, most of  which are
the same objections to almost all treaties based on  claims  of loss of
national sovereignty  Such objections are generally  advanced by a certain
political stance which will not be named but which rhymes  with Star Light.
      If anyone has any further info, please bring  it forth.
Thanks,
Dan