[Nfbmo] Barriers to Blind Employment

Gary Wunder gwunder at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 7 19:07:36 UTC 2012

Good morning Fred. Thank you very much for your perspectives on employment.
I too am concerned about the fact that the 70% figure never seems to change,
but in fairness there are things happening in the world which would tend to
push the rate up as well as the technology you site that should push it
down. It is widely agreed that many blind people today have multiple
disabilities. Some of those offer so many physical constraints that what we
have considered necessary to employment may preclude them. Others have
cognitive disabilities and this at a time when we are said to live in the
information age. We have made a decision in this country to do away with
what some have called the dirty jobs in favor of the brain jobs. This being
the case, people with cognitive disabilities will fare more poorly, whether
they have vision or not.

I think you are correct when you site the educational system and the failure
to teach braille as a significant factor in unemployment. One cannot even be
a receptionist if he or she cannot write simple messages in a way that can
be easily understood. Without some knowledge of spelling and punctuation,
things many of us get from braille and from print, one might have lots of
information in his head but have a hard time conveying it.

Let me talk for a moment about whether the 70% figure is accurate or is
simply used so much that it is taken as truth. Jim Nyman, the former
director of the Nebraska agency for the blind, wrote an article for the
Braille Monitor in which he took the 70% figure to task. A gentleman who
presented at our national convention also believes the figure is greatly
inflated and doubts that 70% of those who really want and can take jobs are
unemployed. You might listen to his presentation which is available on the
NFB website under convention highlights. I summarized it a bit in the
convention roundup, but I don't think I really did justice to what the man
said. His name is Larry Temple, and I believe he employs our state president
in Texas.

I really do appreciate everyone who has taken the time to make comments on
this issue. I know that Jim and his fine committee are following what is
being said. I hope that others will offer their perspectives. All of this is
intended to lead to some kind of program we can undertake to get more blind
people employed. There is little sense in discussing a problem unless we
intend to find a solution. I remember attending a conference sponsored by
the sociology department here at the University of Missouri to discuss the
problems of aging. After two days of listening to problems, I went to the
project director and asked when we planned to discuss solutions. In a
paraphrase of what he said, I was startled to hear "accumulate lots of
money, and pray for good health." I hope we can do better for employment
than he was able to do for the problems of aging.

Warmly,

Gary