[Nfbmo] Nearly blind St. Charles runner changes route due to neighbor ...

DanFlasar at aol.com DanFlasar at aol.com
Mon Oct 8 19:53:11 UTC 2012

Matt, you are amazing - what a great idea!
Dan

In a message dated 10/8/2012 2:32:21 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
matt.sievert at gmail.com writes:

As a  pedestrian, you should be on the side of the road traveling against
the flow  of traffic. If a sidewalk is available, you should be on the
sidewalk.   Crossing the street at marked crossings if available.

I walk to and  from work everyday at a distance of 1.5 miles through a
suburban  environment.

I travel wearing a regulation military Physical Training  reflective belt
as a sash. A blinking red LED bike light on the back and  another one on the
front shoulder strap of my backpack. I also wear bright  jackets and carry a
white cane.

Cars of course still don't yield to  me.

So I have resorted to wearing a GoPro Hero 2 personal wide-angle  video
camera. I then post the more exciting videos on YouTube and send the  links to
the local police department. Who respond by placing a patrol car in  the
area to monitor the intersection in the video.

It has worked well.  People drive a lot better when a camera is pointed at
them.

Not even  sighted people should be running down the center of a public
street unless the  street is being monitored for a special event.

Matt Sievert