[Nfbmo] Blind people are not "funny"

DanFlasar at aol.com DanFlasar at aol.com
Tue Sep 25 20:42:27 UTC 2012

All,

   I think we should give the producers of the clip a little  space for
their intention.  I've seen other, similar clips on this  show of people
seemingly needing help, which is the actual purpose of the  setup.  Someone,
perhaps an older person, is wandering into the street and  - again seemingly -
needs to be rescued.  What will people do?   Someone drops money onto the
floor at the cash register in such a way that only  the people at a particular
table can see - what will they do?   A  woman walks away from a park bench
leaving what seems to be a baby carrier with  a tape of a baby crying - what
will people do?  All of these situations  deal with what are deemed
stereotypical behavior - the befuddled old person, the  negligent mother, the harried
customer and, yes, the helpless blind  person.  There are in fact,
befuddled old people, parents who dash into the  shop leaving their baby carriage
outside, customers too interested in their cell  phone conversation to notice
that their money has fallen out and blind people  needing assistance.  No
attempt is made to say all old people are  befuddled, all mothers are
negligent, all customers are unaware and all blind  people are helpless.  The intent
here is not to verify stereotypes but  instead to see how people respond to
what seems to be a person needing  assistance - will they help?  Ignore the
person?  Watch in  amusement?  That's the real intent.  And as a matter of
fact in this  clip, some people did make efforts to help, some did nothing
and some watched in  amusement.
      In other words, there was no attempt to  paint blind people in a bad
light at all - it's just a setup.

   All that said, it's still necessary to send notes to the  producers that
tapping into a stereotype of a blind person is not a good idea,  that
perhaps they should concentrate more on other situations rather than  reinforce
existing stereotypes that can have real averse consequences for  blind people.
Dan

In a message dated 9/25/2012 3:01:56 P.M. Central Daylight Time,